Question My GPU is on and power is sufficient but doesn’t work

Mar 26, 2019
I have an RX 580 and a Corsair tw650w or something like that, the gpu turns on by the PCI-E slot because that’s how the GPU works, the manual says connect an external power if necessary. I plugged it all in and the fans spin and the lights work. But when I plug the HDMI into the monitor from the GPU, I get “no signal”. So I restart it, with it in the integrated graphics. I go to device management and it can’t find the gpu installed, even though it’s connected and working. I tried installing the drivers for it and the AMD Software says “no AMD Hardware found”. So I think the problem is the motherboard not recognising it, but it gives it all the power it needs?

I’ve tried the external power, it needs a 8-pin, so I tried to plug in the 8-pin but 2 of the pins from the PSU are different and swapped around (the last square and rounded one are swapped), and I can’t fit it. I can fit a 6-pin in it with 2 left open and the GPU says it’s okay, and there are no errors. But still, no video signal.

Pleeease help!!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I tried his 6+2 and it’s still not working. I think the Vostro 460 mobo is the problem

Umm, modular cables are not interchangeable from power supply to power supply. They're only standardized on the PCIE end, not the end the connects to the PSU. You can only use modular cables that have identical pinouts on the power supply end to the power supply in question.

You can very easily fry all your components doing this.

Now, you're going to need to test the GPU in a known working PC, because now the challenge is even harder because you may have destroyed the GPU.

Mar 26, 2019
Umm, modular cables are not interchangeable from power supply to power supply. They're only standardized on the PCIE end, not the end the connects to the PSU. You can only use modular cables that have identical pinouts on the power supply end to the power supply in question.

You can very easily fry all your components doing this.

Now, you're going to need to test the GPU in a known working PC, because now the challenge is even harder because you may have destroyed the GPU.
How will I know if it is destroyed?

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
But the fan spins, the light turns on and it’s getting enough power. It seems like it’s working. The gigabyte logo lights up
Hence you need to take the GPU to another PC that actually has a proper power supply and test the graphics card. If it runs on the other system, just not on yours, you can go on.
But first you need to find out, whether the GPU works at all.

Mar 26, 2019
Hence you need to take the GPU to another PC that actually has a proper power supply and test the graphics card. If it runs on the other system, just not on yours, you can go on.
But first you need to find out, whether the GPU works at all.
Ahhh, I hate this. I just wanna start all over again and just sell this all to some tech nerd dude for a bit more than I bought it for. And just buy a different set of pc parts that ACTUALLY work

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Ahhh, I hate this. I just wanna start all over again and just sell this all to some tech nerd dude for a bit more than I bought it for. And just buy a different set of pc parts that ACTUALLY work
Yeah, I know the feeling. Making a build on your own or altering a working build can easily end up being days and days of work and running after stuff.
Just be patient and go step by step. It will help you to avoid future frustrations.

Mar 26, 2019
Yeah, I know the feeling. Making a build on your own or altering a working build can easily end up being days and days of work and running after stuff.
Just be patient and go step by step. It will help you to avoid future frustrations.
I honestly think it’s the old motherboard that’s letting me down. It’s a Vostro 460 Mobo

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
I honestly think it’s the old motherboard that’s letting me down. It’s a Vostro 460 Mobo
Possible, but to be sure you need to check all other components for working order. If they all work on another mobo, then you know that yours is the culprit.
And your PSU also doesn't seem to fit the equation, from what I gathered. If it doesn't have the required connectors by default, a new mobo is not gonna solve anything.