[SOLVED] my gpu is on fire

May 10, 2020
Two weeks ago i purchased a prebuilt ( no i dont care about your argument as to why building it yourself is better i know) my gigabyte 2080 super has decided that it only know how to run at absolute max temperature like it hits 85 to 87 degrees Celsius in every game i play on recommended settings not overclocking, just the normal 100 percent. my system also has an I-9 with 16 gigs of ram. my i-9 doesnt even go over 55 celsius when in the middle of games. i believe either the thermal paste on the gpu wasnt installed properly or it needs to be waterblocked to run correctly anybody have any other ideas

Solution
i already set a fan curve on after burner thats also how im seeing the 85 to 87 celsius

I would get the store to check that over because no way it should be that high even with the fan curves. Could be poor airflow, I am getting hot weather outside now and my temps started to go up so leave my case open with window open and my fans on max. My 2080ti is on 60% on idle because fans are not spinning not until MSI afterburner is opened!
May 10, 2020
originally the case came with 3 potato 120 mm fans i upgraded to 4 thermal takes that run at double the speed of the originals. the GC has the tried and true triple fan set up. my fan curve for it is set to run at 60 percent at 20 degrees celsius with a normal uprate and then by 70 degrees c its at 100 percent

Can you link to the exact fans you have, and what case is it in?
Since your CPU temps are relatively low airflow there seems good, but the GPU could be obstructed.

Given that you went with prebuilt, this sounds like something to just have the retailer fix for you, after all it should work properly without your intervention. Thats the whole point of buying prebuilt.

Really sorry about your gpu getting caught on fire, I think if you still got your recipt to your order suggest to take it back to the retailer for a refund or an replacement but would like to check it before you buy. The retailer must of bulit it wrong or done something to make gpu go on fire!

May 10, 2020
Really sorry about your gpu getting caught on fire, I think if you still got your recipt to your order suggest to take it back to the retailer for a refund or an replacement but would like to check it before you buy.
it didnt actually catch fire im just saying at 85 to 87 when the max temp is 88 it might as well be on fire

i already set a fan curve on after burner thats also how im seeing the 85 to 87 celsius

I would get the store to check that over because no way it should be that high even with the fan curves. Could be poor airflow, I am getting hot weather outside now and my temps started to go up so leave my case open with window open and my fans on max. My 2080ti is on 60% on idle because fans are not spinning not until MSI afterburner is opened!

Last edited:
Solution