[SOLVED] My GPU is overheating and causing my monitor to black screen.

Apr 29, 2020
So my GPU overheats and turns off my monitor and then I have to restart the computer. The monitor goes blacks and sound continues (this happens when i start a game). I take out the graphics card and put it on a window fan to cool it (genius I know) and it works after maybe 4-5 hours. Usually it overheats if I leave my computer on overnight.

i7-9700k
Gigabyte 1070

Is this unhealthy for my computer? Does this mean my GPU is dying because I've never had issues in the past. The fan speeds work as normal but the heat problem is new. I know I can go out and clean my GPU out but with the coronavirus I just haven't left home. Is it damaging for my computer to keep doing as I do, taking it out and cooling it on a window fan until the coronavirus settles down and I buy what I need to cool it?

Solution
The suggestion that the PSU may not be able to provide the power required, and thus is operating at the edge of its ability, is worth checking out. On the other hand, your first post says the system often will fail this way when it is left on overnight. I would assume that, in those cases, the machine workload is small with nobody using it. That usually means also that the video card heat generation is small, so why would it overheat? And why would the PSU be overloaded at low workload? Are you sure about the overnight thing? Am I wrong in assuming it is loafing along with low workload during that overnight period?

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
I don't think that an overheating GPU would do any damage to the rest of the system, But it is definetly bad for the GPU. Do you have software that gives live gpu info? If so, how hot are we talkin here? Usually the GPU will slow itself down if it gets too hot instead of just shutting down. Is there a noticeable decrease in performance before it dies? I ran into a similar issue with a GPU, but simply returned it because it happened right after I bought it. Any chance yours is still under warranty? The only other solution that I am thinking of is to remove the cooler from the GPU and ensure that it is making good contact with the die. This is a somewhat involved process and should probably be a last resort.

Apr 29, 2020
I've had my graphics card for almost 4 maybe 5 years I don't remember. Got it on the release of the 1070. The temperatures read normal on a temperature read but when i physically touch it, it is burning hot.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can you tell whether the fan on the video card is working at all? Also, are the air flow openings clear, or clogged with dust?

Since you are already in the habit of removing the card, next time inspect it very carefully for dust accumulation.

Maybe you're already using it, but many video cars come with a utiolity to monitor it and ajust ites settings, including GPU chip temperatures and card cooling fan operation. What does it show for the fan speed?

Apr 29, 2020
The temperatures are operating fine the fans are operating fine. I manually switched the fan speeds to max but the crash still occurs at regular temps for the graphics card. Yet this crash only occurs when the graphic card gets hot to the touch. There is def. dust inside but I dont have the means to clean it atm with coronavirus and not wanting to go out

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I find it very odd that you say the software tools show you normal GPU tempertures, but by feeling it you find the chip is VERY hot. Now, "normal" GPU chip temps are quite high. Are you sure you know just how hot 80C is to your finger?

Using those monitoring tools, do you find that, as you game hard and the GPU chip heats up, the card fan speeds up and gets to max speed before the ultimate high temp failure? If yes, that would indicate the system is doing its best but something is reducing its impact. Maye you do have too much dust?

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
I find it very odd that you say the software tools show you normal GPU tempertures, but by feeling it you find the chip is VERY hot. Now, "normal" GPU chip temps are quite high. Are you sure you know just how hot 80C is to your finger?

Using those monitoring tools, do you find that, as you game hard and the GPU chip heats up, the card fan speeds up and gets to max speed before the ultimate high temp failure? If yes, that would indicate the system is doing its best but something is reducing its impact. Maye you do have too much dust?
If the temp readings are normal, maybe the heat is not the issue

Apr 29, 2020
it could very well be that the power supply isn't giving off enough power. This was my first guess. my question is then why would my system operate fine for a few days and then suddently given that my gpu is overheating to the touch it stops working? I don't have my desktop on atm but I've checked the temps and the temps were well within normal operating temps. Granted normal temps are hot, and it is not surprising that the temp of the gpu was hot to the touch.

Could this mean that some days my system is getting enough power and some days it isn't? Is there a reason for this or a potential cause? have any of you encountered similar issues to this?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The suggestion that the PSU may not be able to provide the power required, and thus is operating at the edge of its ability, is worth checking out. On the other hand, your first post says the system often will fail this way when it is left on overnight. I would assume that, in those cases, the machine workload is small with nobody using it. That usually means also that the video card heat generation is small, so why would it overheat? And why would the PSU be overloaded at low workload? Are you sure about the overnight thing? Am I wrong in assuming it is loafing along with low workload during that overnight period?

Solution