Question My gpu is running 300mhz faster than its max is this something to worry about?

Stuart brear

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I have resently bought a evga rtx 2080 ti black edition it says it has a max boost of 1545 mhz but when i play games it is way above that under load it normally sits on around 1800 - 1850mhz is this something to worry about? I havent overclocked or anything like that.

The MHz value is determined by the manufacturer, but despite this, the card can boost slightly higher as well.

It's sort of GPU self overclocking. The Card boosts to way beyond advertised clock due to available margins. It's normal. Think of GPU Boost like Intel's turbo boost.

It kicks in automatically when needed as long the card is not on power or thermal limit. But unlike Intel's turbo boost, it can't be disabled. The "boost" relates to GPUBoost 4/3.0 which will essentially overclock a card beyond the base/max, assuming various criteria are met (thermal, voltage etc).

Most of the time, cards will boost beyond the stated boost clock, but it is dependent on thermals and other factors. What you're seeing is not abnormal, and is relatively common, IMO.

Last edited:
was just a liitle worried that it would burn out

There is nothing to worry about this though. It won't burn the Video card. That's a normal behavior. Like mentioned above, some cards boost to way beyond the advertised clock due to available margins. It's normal. Most of the time, cards will boost beyond the stated boost clock, but this is also dependent on thermals and other factors.