[SOLVED] My GPU is running at x8 instead x16!! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Today I found out that my graphics card XFX RADEON R9 270X is running at x8 (According to GPU-Z) even though I have installed it on the x16 slot on the motherboard. I'm running the lastest AMD Adrenaline 19.9.2 drivers and the Latest MSI BIOS. Here is my full setup...
MSI B450M-Pro VDH PLUS (BIOS 7A38V97)
Ryzen 3600 @3.8 Ghz, 1.15V
XPG Gammix D30 3200 MHz CL16 2x8GB
XFX AMD Radeon R9 270X Double D Black edition
1 TB HDD and 240 GB SSD (as the boot drive)
Corsair TX650M Power Supply
Other than these, I have an external usb soundcard for my audio recordings.

Thank you for your time!!

Solution
I just solved the problem. The SATA ports that sit parallel to the motherboard (facing the right side of the the board) was the issue. I changed my SSD's port to SATA 1 and now it's running at x16 3.0 at full load. If you want to run your gpu x16 @3.0, never use these parallel SATA ports for storage.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Check PCIE slot settings BIOS. There might be option to switch between x8/x16 operation modes.

Also - are you sure about your cpu model? For example with R5 3400G - PCIE slot would switch into x8 operation mode.
Please show us CPU-Z and GPU-Z screenshots.
How do I check the PCIE Slot settings in MSI CLICK BIOS?

2f3.png

How do I check the PCIE Slot settings in MSI CLICK BIOS?
Go into BIOS advanced mode. Look under Settings/Advanced section.

Also - if your system is in idle state (no active 3d load on GPU), then pcie slot may switch into lower operation mode. Try running some gpu benchmark.
Anyway - R9 270X is not a very powerful card. Switching between x8 and x16 modes might not have any impact on performance at all.

Reactions: Abhisek_3

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Go into BIOS advanced mode. Look under Settings/Advanced section.

Also - if your system is in idle state (no active 3d load on GPU), then pcie slot may switch into lower operation mode. Try running some gpu benchmark.
Anyway - R9 270X is not a very powerful card. Switching between x8 and x16 modes might not have any impact on performance at all.
"AS THE R9 270X ISN'T A VERY POWERFUL CARD, THE PCI LANE DOESNT NEED TO SWITCH TO X16 AT ALL" - Is that a valid statement?

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
I just solved the problem. The SATA ports that sit parallel to the motherboard (facing the right side of the the board) was the issue. I changed my SSD's port to SATA 1 and now it's running at x16 3.0 at full load. If you want to run your gpu x16 @3.0, never use these parallel SATA ports for storage.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.