[SOLVED] My gpu is turning off when not used (idle) ?

May 27, 2021
Firstly, when i boot up my laptop i sometimes get nvlddmkm.sys error and if it doesnt happen if i dont open something that uses my gpu for exaple a game it closes itself and i need to reboot to make it work again. If i open a game its fine but as soon as i close the game gpu closes again i tried deleting the driver with ddu and reinstalling it, worked for just 6 hours and everything is same l.i am using the lastest nvdia driver it started a month ago and my laptop is 3 years old my gpu is gtx 1060 6gb

May 27, 2021
run DDU again in safe mode and install the latest driver that you didn't have issue with.
if the issue continues than you may have a malfunctioning card.
did those and testing it out and ill test tomorrow to be sure hopefully its fine now

edit:it doesnt show the temputure if the gpu isn't used

Last edited:

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
are u talking about 3d settings>general settings>power management? if u are it is set to optimum power(im using laptop)

yeh that's the one
try setting that to Prefer Max Performance
I know, it's probably not ideal with a laptop in terms of the heat generated when its idling but give it a try and see if it changes anything

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
Yes its been more than 24 hours still no problem
that's great to hear man
I was having a somewhat similar issue with my 1080 Ti card in my desktop, was getting system freezes but only ever as the card clock MHz was coming down - eg. turning off my extra monitors, just after gaming, never during.
This happened once or twice last year (and only when i was switching off my extra monitors) but then stopped and was problem free for months, but then the freezes started up in earnest after the Feb '21 Nvidia driver update.

Tried all sorts of things to fix it (different drivers etc), but then i saw in the driver release notes on reddit a thing for 1050 + 60 + 70 + 80 users about setting the power management to Prefer Max Performance and that seemed to fix it for me, smooth sailing since.

Can i ask what version of windows are you running?

Reactions: dotas1
May 27, 2021
that's great to hear man
I was having a somewhat similar issue with my 1080 Ti card in my desktop, was getting system freezes but only ever as the card clock MHz was coming down - eg. turning off my extra monitors, just after gaming, never during.
This happened once or twice last year (and only when i was switching off my extra monitors) but then stopped and was problem free for months, but then the freezes started up in earnest after the Feb '21 Nvidia driver update.

Tried all sorts of things to fix it (different drivers etc), but then i saw in the driver release notes on reddit a thing for 1050 + 60 + 70 + 80 users about setting the power management to Prefer Max Performance and that seemed to fix it for me, smooth sailing since.

Can i ask what version of windows are you running?
Im using W10