[SOLVED] my GPU keeps cutting to a black screen under heavy load ?

kalob21

Honorable
Mar 19, 2016
My rtx 2080 super has worked fine for the better part of 2 years, but all of a sudden when i get into a particularly demanding game both my screens go black, the gpu fans kick up to 100% speed but i can still hear audio for a short time afterwards.

This seems to happen at random between 4min and several hours after starting up a game. I checked the temperature with task manager and msi afterburner but both showed the card never gets above 70c - 75c under load. I also tried to increase the voltage slightly but that didn't fix it either (not sure if that would have done anything anyway but its back to normal voltage now)

I also tried reinstalling my drivers, cleaning my pc with restoro, setting a custom fan curve to get the temps as low as possible, lowered graphics settings in game, fully dusted my computer, and checked the motherboard for errors on startup. The PC itself loads up just fine with no issues and the problem only seems to happen when the GPU is under load ?

my specs are:

gigabyte b360 hd3 (rev 1)
gigabyte rtx 2080 super
i7 9700k
16 gigs Dominator platinum 3200hz (not running at 3200 cause of the board type)
EVGA 750w 80+ gold PSU

not sure if needed but my storage is:
Kingston 128 Gb SSD
1tb WD caviar blue
and a 1tb Samsung 970 EVO m.2)

So you will need to do some troubleshooting. Try reseating the power cables in the gpu. If you have the pc plugged in to a power strip try plugging it directly in to wall to see if it continues. You can can try pulling gpu from pci slot and reseating it. See if any of these things help.

kalob21

Honorable
Mar 19, 2016
So you will need to do some troubleshooting. Try reseating the power cables in the gpu. If you have the pc plugged in to a power strip try plugging it directly in to wall to see if it continues. You can can try pulling gpu from pci slot and reseating it. See if any of these things help.
reseated the cords, reinstalled the gpu and used wall power, still no luck