[SOLVED] My GPU keeps overheating and crashing my system, but I don't believe it's the GPU at fault

SomeScottishUser

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
My GPU keeps overheating and crashing my computer, but MSI Afterburner only reports 55-60°c while under full load

Small backstory

My GTX 1080 FE was giving me thermal issues a few weeks back, I took it apart to clear all the dust and replaced the thermal paste, this temporarily fixed the problem but again I got overheating issues that kept constantly crashing my comptuer while gaming despite afterburner never going above 65°c, I chalked it up to the card being 3 1/2 years old and maybe it developed some fault. I decided since my 1080 was no good anymore I'd splurge on an early Christmas preset and get an RTX 2080 Ti (MSI Ventus Edition)

Main issue

When replacing my GPU I gave my case a full dust down and even cleaned every individual fan blade, made sure to make the filters and radiator spotless, comptuer started up no bother and being curious I am hoped straight into 3Dmark after I confirmed the card was working and I had control over it through afterburner, started up firestrike and near the end of the demo the computers crashes, I was watching afterburner during the test for clock speeds and temp, the highest temp was 58°c. This confused the hell out of me, I restarted the test again and this time it crashed even earlier, it must of still been kinda hot from the last time it crashed, confused I physically felt around the GPU after it had just crashed and noticed the backplate just above the chip is hot to the touch, like stupidly hot where it could burn me if I pressed my finger against it long enough. It reminded me that when my 1080 crashed it would be really hot in the same place so I don't think my 1080 was actually faulty, it has to be something else but the thing is I'm clueless, please somebody help, I want to get use out of my new card.

To rule out the card being faulty I had a friend use my GTX 1080 on their system, worked fine under a stress test for up to an hour, I couldn't stress it for more than 3mins, this leads me to believe that there is something in my system causing this fault. I suspect possibly the PCIe slot but I'm honestly cluelss

System Specs;

CPU: i7-5820K
RAM: Avexir 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Motherboard: MSI X99 SLI PLUS
Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD / Seagate 1TB 5400RPM HDD
GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus Edition
PSU: Super flower leadex platinum 750W (Just over 3 years old)
Case: Aerocool P7-C1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
"PSU: Super flower leadex platinum 750W (Just over 3 years old)"

First add up the wattage requirements of all installed components. If a wattage range is given use the high value. Once totaled, add 25%.

How close is that value to 750?

Check the voltages on the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but any out of spec voltages may be indicative of a failed/failing PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
"PSU: Super flower leadex platinum 750W (Just over 3 years old)"

First add up the wattage requirements of all installed components. If a wattage range is given use the high value. Once totaled, add 25%.

How close is that value to 750?

Check the voltages on the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but any out of spec voltages may be indicative of a failed/failing PSU.

Solution