[SOLVED] My GPU makes some weird buzzing sound. It only occurs when a game is running. When i alt tab / the game loads it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornOrca

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
I only noticed it the other day after I cleaned my pc with a can of compressed air.
I can't really record it because my mic is too bad. Its a continuos low pitched buzzing sound which stops when i alt tab out of the game, or if it hits a loading screen. Sometimes goes high pitched straight after loading in.
I turned my fans speeds up to max and no sound came out of my GPU so i doubt they're the culprit
Any advice on what to do would be great. No clue whether its coil whine or something serious.

Solution
Maybe you're talking about coil whine. I also hear it - but for now only in one specific setting of benchmark and in Painkiller: Hell & Damnation if I play without vsync (high framerates in max. settings in this game only). And, when my laptop is on battery only. Usually almost not audible. >99% of cases not a sign of a practical issue, apart of the noice sometimes a bit annoying. You can hear a sample of it after the 1st minute in the video here:
Maybe you're talking about coil whine. I also hear it - but for now only in one specific setting of benchmark and in Painkiller: Hell & Damnation if I play without vsync (high framerates in max. settings in this game only). And, when my laptop is on battery only. Usually almost not audible. >99% of cases not a sign of a practical issue, apart of the noice sometimes a bit annoying. You can hear a sample of it after the 1st minute in the video here:

Solution

BornOrca

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
My buzzing is more low but like coil whine it only occurs when I am in a game. If I alt tab or the game hits a loading screen, no low pitched buzzing at all. Can coil whine be low pitched at all? I can't see how I damaged the gpu I only sprayed some canned air down the vent and on the fans to clear out excess dust
Thanks for your help 😁

Aug 30, 2021
My buzzing is more low but like coil whine it only occurs when I am in a game. If I alt tab or the game hits a loading screen, no low pitched buzzing at all. Can coil whine be low pitched at all? I can't see how I damaged the gpu I only sprayed some canned air down the vent and on the fans to clear out excess dust
Thanks for your help 😁

I am experiencing the same problem. Did you by any chance fix it? If you did; please tell me how. It is getting annoying and my PC reboots unexpectedly as well.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am experiencing the same problem. Did you by any chance fix it? If you did; please tell me how. It is getting annoying and my PC reboots unexpectedly as well.

This is a very common symptom with a lot of causes. Start your own thread with a full description of the history of your issue and full specs rather than tacking on lines to random possibly-related threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.