• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question My GPU might be fried.

Mar 22, 2019
I am a first time pc builder, but I like gaming, and i’ve watched enough videos to get by.
I put together my system about a week ago, and everything was working. I tried some overclockingg, but then turned the settings back because I didn’t want my fans going that much. I played mostly games that were easy on the graphics at first, just because I don’t have any others, and they worked fine.
Today I tried to play destiny 2. I had it from a while back, and I downloaded it last night. For about five or ten minutes, it worked fine, but then during one of the cut scenes, my computer crashed. I don’t think there were any load pops or anything, and I had checked the temp of my card a couple of minutes before, and it was at about 61 Celsius. When I tried to turn the system back on, the leds on my cooler foivkered on for a second, and then cut off.
I then started trying to find he problem. I unplugged all unnecessary pieces (my keyboard, mouse, hdmi, and the power to the gpu). The gpu was still seated in the pcie slot, just without power. I turned off the switch on the psu, turned it back on, and the computer appeared to turn on fine. I don’t fully know, because I had unplugged the hdmi, and because non-apu ryzen doesn’t have integrated graphics.
I then tried a combination of things, and I found that the problem is definitely gpu related, and that the computer turns on as long as the 8 pin pcie power to the card is not plugged in, even if the card is still in the slot. The psu occasionally makes a funky noise when you try to turn on the computer with the gpu power plugged in.
Any thoughts? My first thought is that the gpu is fried, and I might be able to return it to amazon and say it was dead when I got it, but I wanna know other options before I pick that battle.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix b450-f
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Ram: 16gb g.skill trident-z rgb 2400 MHz
Cooler: Corsair h100i pro
Video card: XFX rx 580 8g (I think it’s the xxx’ed one, but they are all about the same)
PSU: Seasonic 80+ bronze 620 watt
Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 evo

Edit 1: Amazon reviews look like I’m not the first person for this to happen to.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS