[SOLVED] My GPU randomly spikes, i’m not running anything

Nov 13, 2020
Hi my GPU is shown to be randomly spiking, checking via the radeon inbuilt software . any clues on why this could be happening. i’m not running any games or programs at the moment besides google chrome

Solution
You GPU is drawing anything and everything you see on the screen, so it is supposed to show spikes even if you just move the mouse pointer over the screen.
Google Chrome uses you GPU (hardware acceleration) to make content in tabs load faster.
You GPU is drawing anything and everything you see on the screen, so it is supposed to show spikes even if you just move the mouse pointer over the screen.
Google Chrome uses you GPU (hardware acceleration) to make content in tabs load faster.

Solution
Oct 9, 2020
Before anything else, make sure to check what apps are taking up the GPU in the Task Manager,

back in late 2018 just before my first dedicated GPU arrived, I was lagging, I checked my Task Manager and what would ya' know it, some fella' infected my system with a Bitcoin Miner,

There is an option in the Task Manager to view the GPU usage (I'm referring to the one in the first tab, not the PERFORMANCE tab), look at what takes up that GPU usage and report back if you find anything interesting.