Question My GPU set on fire. What do I do

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
So I was loading a game, was about to get in when I blackscreened. A second later I saw a flash in the corner of my eyes and smoke started coming out of my computer. I turned it off and the smell was terrible. Now, today, I opened the computer up and the smell is clearly coming from the GPU, but I can’t see any damage. The pc was off amazon, IBUYPOWER prebuilt. GPU is a 1060 3gb. Don’t know if I have warranty because I didn’t buy it (was a gift) What do?! Thanks in advance
Edit: forgot to mention there was a ton of dust in the fans, cleaned it out today. I think that may have caused it not sure

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
Ok I’ll contact them, doesn’t appear to be any damage in the motherboard near it, not sure that I can remove the gpu without voiding warranty though
Ok I’ll contact them, doesn’t appear to be any damage in the motherboard near it, not sure that I can remove the gpu without voiding warranty though
I'd be surprised if it voided the warranty.
Check if it will...
If they won't fix it, the take it out, put in a new one, and see if that does it.

Reactions: Desswarrior
Just to add, im sure you wouldnt, but dont power your pc on with the bad gpu. It could have damaged the psu or mobo, but it doesnt hurt to find out. Given that the 1060 3gb Isnt that old, if the system had a 2 or 3 year warrenty you should be good. There would really be no way to tell that the gpu was taken out and it shouldnt void your warrenty, although dont go disassembling the gpu as that likely would void your warrenty due to those annoying screws stickers.

USAFRet

Titan
So I was loading a game, was about to get in when I blackscreened. A second later I saw a flash in the corner of my eyes and smoke started coming out of my computer. I turned it off and the smell was terrible. Now, today, I opened the computer up and the smell is clearly coming from the GPU, but I can’t see any damage. The pc was off amazon, IBUYPOWER prebuilt. GPU is a 1060 3gb. Don’t know if I have warranty because I didn’t buy it (was a gift) What do?! Thanks in advance
Edit: forgot to mention there was a ton of dust in the fans, cleaned it out today. I think that may have caused it not sure
"a ton of dust"
How old is this system? iBuyPower warranty is generally only one year.

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Alright boys an update is here: called them turns out my warranty expired. Got the gpu out of the case, obvious damage. Going to try to start the computer with the motherboard only. Wish me luck, hopefully motherboard isn’t damaged

Ibuypower does not install the very best of power supplies.
It will only use the minimum required to run the initial configuration.
What is the power for the psu and what is your graphics card?

If you have upgraded your graphics card, it might have caused the problem with as overdraw on power.
Consider the possibility that the psu failed causing damage to the graphics card.

See if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Good luck. If your warranty is up you are looking into 150 minimum for a new card. I would follow the above and check the PSU.
PSU is 350 watt. Since my warranty is up I’m going to check out the inside details since voiding warranty isn’t a problem anymore. (Don’t know the exact psu right now) Probably the only things I’ll be able to save are my ssd, the ram, one of the fans and maybe my CPU but being down $400-500 sucks haha. Let’s see what happens I guess

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Ibuypower does not install the very best of power supplies.
It will only use the minimum required to run the initial configuration.
What is the power for the psu and what is your graphics card?

If you have upgraded your graphics card, it might have caused the problem with as overdraw on power.
Consider the possibility that the psu failed causing damage to the graphics card.

See if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.
Didn’t upgrade the GPU. I consulted my brother who is way more tech savvy than me as he works in that department and he says that ibuypower “took every single shortcut to make the computer as cheap as possible to make” so probably learned my lesson on prebuilts. Time to learn how to make a computer myself

USAFRet

Titan
Didn’t upgrade the GPU. I consulted my brother who is way more tech savvy than me as he works in that department and he says that ibuypower “took every single shortcut to make the computer as cheap as possible to make” so probably learned my lesson on prebuilts. Time to learn how to make a computer myself
Yes. That's the common theme with iBuyPower and CyberPower. Cheap out on the things people don't notice.
And cheap out on the warranty. Bought individually, each of those parts has a 2-3-5 year warranty. But you only get 1 year.

I don't know how a GTX 1060 3gb would run on a cheap 350 watt psu without crashing under load. The people at ibuypower had to know Nvidia says the card needs a decent 400w or better. Moral to the story, never cheap out on PSU in any build, and prebuilts should only be bought from certain brands. If you want to learn how to build a pc here's a good recent build series:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jFXl0GZJo&t=2336s

We could help you with a parts list. You definitely can reuse the SSD and if the ram is ddr4 it can be used, although it's probably slow for cost-cutting.

Last edited:

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
I don't know how a GTX 1060 3gb would run on a cheap 350 watt psu without crashing under load. The people at ibuypower had to know Nvidia says the card needs a decent 400w or better. Moral to the story, never cheap out on PSU in any build, and prebuilts should only be bought from certain brands. If you want to learn how to build a pc here's a good recent build series:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jFXl0GZJo&t=2336s

We could help you with a parts list. You definitely can reuse the SSD and if the ram is ddr4 it can be used, although it's probably slow for cost-cutting.
Thanks so much for the video! A parts list would be fantastic if it’s not out of your way. My budget is like 1,000 so if you have any expert opinions that would be super, though if not no worries I’ll still look at some on that pcpartpicker website myself. Ram is ddr4 so that’s cool. Thanks again, I’ll need that video soon

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x4X6tg
Here is a good list that can be modified to better suit your needs. I included a 620 watt, fully modular, 80+ gold certified power supply from seasonic, one of the best in the business. You wont have any issues here. The 8 cores, 16 processor threads, and max xfr of 4.3ghz will game great and multitask instanely well.
A few ?s:
What is the exact kit of ram you wish to reuse?
What storage drives do you already have?
What monitor refresh and resolution do you have?
What do you do with your pc mainly.

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x4X6tg
Here is a good list that can be modified to better suit your needs. I included a 620 watt, fully modular, 80+ gold certified power supply from seasonic, one of the best in the business. You wont have any issues here. The 8 cores, 16 processor threads, and max xfr of 4.3ghz will game great and multitask instanely well.
A few ?s:
What is the exact kit of ram you wish to reuse?
What storage drives do you already have?
What monitor refresh and resolution do you have?
What do you do with your pc mainly.
In my old pc is a ddr4 ripjaws 8gb ram stick. I want to get an extra 8gb however. I already have a 128 gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. My monitor is 1920x1080 and 60hz which I don’t really feel like upgrading anytime soon. Mainly I play games and browse the internet really. Nothing special, plus I play games that arent super demanding, like csgo, apex, siege, etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor | $299.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $119.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card | $498.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case | NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1078.85
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1058.85
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-09 17:53 EST-0500 |
This is $1050 and has an rtx 2070 8gb gddr6. It will perform great in what you need. Csgo and rss will benefit from the powerfull cpu. You could easily do 100fps maxed out 1080p in the games you listed.

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor | $299.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $119.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card | $498.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case | NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1078.85
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1058.85
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-09 17:53 EST-0500 |
This is $1050 and has an rtx 2070 8gb gddr6. It will perform great in what you need. Csgo and rss will benefit from the powerfull cpu. You could easily do 100fps maxed out 1080p in the games you listed.
My old cpu is an i5-7400, I might be able to save it. Should I make the switch to amd or keep that cpu? I like the list but also the gpu is a bit of a monster that I might not need. And of course if I save the cpu I’m going to have to need a different motherboard. Don’t mean to inconvenience you, everything else looks really good on that list. Sorry to be a cheapo but just trying to save every dolla that I can ya know! Thanks again
Edit: the ram is 2400 speed

You very well could save the CPU. If the motherboard still works, the mobo could be saved. Is the mobo Matx or ATX? You would only be able to step your GPU up to a gtx1160ti to not run into a CPU limitation.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9PQkBb

Last edited:

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
You very well could save the CPU. If the motherboard still works, the mobo could be saved. Is the mobo Matx or ATX? You would only be able to step your GPU up to a gtx1160ti to not run into a CPU limitation.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9PQkBb
Nah the mobo is fried unfortunately. Missed the cpu though. I think the gtx 1660 looks cool and Paul mentioned it in the video you linked me so that looks like a deal. What motherboard do you think I should get to match the 1660?