My GPU temperature goes crazy when playing games

Solution
What do you mean by lubricate? Did you remove the cooler? Did you clean the thermal paste and apply it properly to replace the old one?

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeah, what he said. This used to happen to me on one of my old FE cards that had one fan and blew air out the back. The radiator out back got so clogged with dust, the temps were super spiky and high. Definitely clean and for that matter, re-mount the whole cooler and replace the thermal paste on the the gpu. It should help.

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Thats what i was doing before it starts doing this.
Before this my GPU fan was making rrr noice so i had to lubricate it, now its not doing that sound and fan works but this started to happen...

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Read what ive wrote to Karadjgne, it might help.

Sedivy

Estimable
Hummm. Can you run hwmonitor and see what the rpm on the gpu fan actually is?
When fans start making noise, it's usually because the ball bearing is worn out. No amount of oiling will help in that case. It might make the squeaking stop (though even that should have still gone on), but its effectiveness should be shot. If it's spinning, but at way lower speed than it should be, it might explain why the temps have climbed.

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

heres image, dont want to tell you something wrong :/
https://ctrlv.cz/7kUc

Sedivy

Estimable
Hmm well no, your fans are going just fine it seems. How many fans? Can you see them all spinning if you open the side panel while the computer is on and peer from below?
What do you have running when you took that screenshot? Also do you have it overclocked? My 1070 is a lot lower voltage than that though it's a much better gpu. Not sure if that's cause they got better at efficiency over time or because of any manual settings on your setup or overclocking. I have lower temps than you yet my fans are not spinning at all atm so this is why I'm asking.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The pascal series gpus like the 1070 are far more efficient than pre-maxwell gpus like the 760. Figure both require a psu of @500w-550w and the difference in power levels tells Alot.

As said, you really need to look at the fans. If it's a single fan version, look up under the fan and make sure to blow out any dust/debris that has collected right where the heatsinks start. You should be able to feel a breeze out the rear of the card when you move the compressed air straw around. If it's a dual fan version, that's a little trickier. Only 1 fan is used to register speeds, so if the 1 fan over the back of the card is dead, and the fan near the power cord is fully functional, you'll still register that 3000rpm, but temps will be all crazy and possibly you'll get blackscreens when the VRM's and vram overheats with no temp warnings. The gpu could be 70° and shutdown due to overheating.
You checked and lubricated the fan. This'll mean at least partial disassembly of the gpu. Did you unseat the heatsink? If you did, you'll need to replace the thermal paste (not with Arctic Silver 5, if you please!)
Is it possible the case fan intakes are also dirty or clogged and not supplying a decent flow of air to the gpu?

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

a) i wasnt running anything while i was taking that screenshot
b) by lubricate i mean taking my GPU fan off and lubricating it from bottom so it doesnt make that rrr noice
c) i have 3 fans in my PC, one on case, second on CPU and third one on GPU (i mean my GPU have only one fan)
d) i didnt replace old thermal paste and i thing it might be the reason for this so i ordered one and ill replace it today

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

OK i replaced thermal paste on GPU as well as CPU and i still have same problem.

Sedivy

Estimable
Ook with only 1 case fan, your temps are expected to be very high. Most graphic cards nowadays blow all their hot air directly into the case. If you're not doing much cool air intake and taking away that hot air, it's going to sit in your case and your temps are going to shoot up very quickly. Here is a nice video that explains temps you can expect with only one fan and where that fan is positioned, as well as effect of adding more fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
Also, gpu with only one fan is going to run hot if you're playing games. The reason why most gpus nowadays have 2 or 3 fans on them is to improve cooling and therefore performance. Higher end cards do run hot when gaming, and that hot air has to be dissipated. On a lower end card with only one fan, performance is limited, and due to lower cooling, you can expect high temps as well. You should compensate here with good case cooling to help it out.

Minisvet546

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Hey i think that thermal paste replacement is starting to work, last day i had like 45 C GPU temp and now i have only 36 C GPU temp. You helped me alot, thanks :)