My GPUs won't work properly

husum95

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018
I have for the last year I have had issues where my GPU's haven't worked properly. GPUs in plural being the 980 I've had for years, and the 2080 Ti I just upgraded to. The issues with both are related to GPU usage. In the case of the 980, it would normally run at 99% during gameplay, but occasionally have a "fit" where it would vary between 99-50ish % under load. With the 2080ti on the other hand, it won't even reach 99% during benchmarks. Ran Heaven and furmark, neither which managed to force it to run at full capacity.
Note: CPU usage never goes above 50%

Considering both cards exhibit the same kinds of issues, cross different generations, I think we could safely assume that the problem isn't with the cards themselves, but something else entirely.

I can't figure out what though. I'd think with my PCs specs that the rest would be able to keep up.

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ErikTheOdd/saved/#view=FKsWD3

Regarding overclocking: Everything is at stock.

Monitoring the different parts through NZXT Cam, HWmonitor, and the taskmanager, no component are even close to reaching their cap nor reaching a throttling temperature. CPU reaches at most 45C, GPU maxed out at 63ish C

Regarding powersettings in both nVidia panel and Windows: Both are at maximum performance

Regarding cabling to the cards: Currently there is one dual 8-pin cable, due to some space issues in the new case, but before 10th of November this year, the 980 was using two separate cables, and still had the same issues

I did notice when playing Final Fantasy XIV on the 980, that in the vicinity of other players in a certain zone, the usage would drop almost consistently. Going back there with the 2080ti I didn't really notice any difference in it's behaviour, considering it already was going up and down like crazy before.

Googling about this, many sites say that you won't always reach 99% usage because if a game doesn't require anymore, then it won't pull any more than that. Sure, I can see that, when playing Borderlands 2 with the 980 had it at a consistent 70%, but I have issues believing it when I with my 2080ti at max settings 1440p is running 50fps in the above mentioned zone. That just seems wrong to me. I've also been comparing with a friend in XIV that also just recently got a 2080ti, same resolution and settings, and he never dips below 100 fps.

I can't seem to find the cause here. Does anybody know?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
From the standpoint of gaming, near 100% GPU usage is just about ideal. From what I understand, the RTX 2080 Ti is more tuned to the high end Intel processors (with there higher operating frequencies).

So, the only thing I would is suggest is upgrading to the R7-2700X. Otherwise the only other consideration would be to go to a high end Intel CPU like the I7-8700K and a Z370 motherboard.

You are already close to the top of Ryzen performance.

From the standpoint of gaming, near 100% GPU usage is just about ideal. From what I understand, the RTX 2080 Ti is more tuned to the high end Intel processors (with there higher operating frequencies).

So, the only thing I would is suggest is upgrading to the R7-2700X. Otherwise the only other consideration would be to go to a high end Intel CPU like the I7-8700K and a Z370 motherboard.

You are already close to the top of Ryzen performance.

Solution

husum95

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018

As far as I know, XMP is not enabled, and it's a bit difficult to check while at work.
Though I did try running the RAM at 3000Mhz earlier this year, but then it almost bricked my MB. It would freeze instantly on boot and I had a hard time getting into the bios to disable it again without it freezing first

I could try again though. And i'll try updating the bios again

husum95

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018

Currently running at stock frequency.

During my testing with the 2080ti memory reached about 40ish% usage, thought I didn't have many other programs up. I have seen it reach about 80-90 earlier, but that has always been Chrome eating it all up

Here is a thread on Asus ROG Forum. It goes through the process of manually inputting the memory timings. It also discusses the BIOS updates. This is for Flare X 3200 MHz RAM on the Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, soyou will need to adjust the timings and voltage for your memory.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93722-Flare-X-3200MHZ-16GB-2x8-F4-3200C14D-16GFX-Performance-amp-Guide

This is in case you can't get XMP to work. If the XMP result is stable after updating the BIOS, then use that. If it isn't stable you can use it as the basis for doing it manually.

Memory usage at 40 % is a bit high. Try reducing the number of apps under the Start Up tab of Task Manager. Highlight the apps with medium or high impact on Start Up and use the disable button at the bottom of the page. Then do the same for apps that you don't use every few days. This doesn't delete them. It just prevents them from running constantly in the background. Afterwards those disabled apps will just take a little longer to load when selected.

husum95

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018

I'll try it out. I would agree that 40% without to many programs up is a bit high, but when one of those where a few tabs of chrome (troubleshooting and stuff) I don't think it's too unusual. But I'll check it out.