Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I am on window 10 just wang to know my Graphic card is support dx12
i have this version
asus
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/HD7790DC2OC1GD5/
just wondering why its dx11.1

even Sapphire one was dx12
http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=B00D23ED-5AA4-40C1-AED1-A8964ABBC92B&lang=eng

why asus make dx11 and sapphire dx12

then i read this thing i am just confused

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-released-list-of-compatible-directx-12-cards.html

is my Graphic Card Support DX12

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well the 7790 will play DX12 games, but it does not fully support DX12. DX12 was not around when the 7790 was released and asus probably just never added the fact it supports it to their site.

So like I said it does support dx12 but I would not count on it to run dx12 games very well, if the game in question has a DX11 mode I would use that over DX12.

DirectX 12 API, Hardware Feature Level 11

Support can come in a few ways. One, the game might be DX 12 but it also has a DX 11 mode, which older cards like yours can use. Two, the game may implement some DX 12 features in 'software'. This means your DX 11 can use these features but they will run slower. The third way is if you have a DX 12 card with hardware support for those DX 12 features. That means you can use them AND they will run faster than if you just had software support.

sshortguy1

Honorable
Feb 20, 2015

the thing is though not many games support dx 12 for 1 simple reason, not enough people are using w 10 ,,,,the results say that 90 % use w 7 and a lot of their customers say if they wanted their pc to look like a i phone they would buy 1

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Not sure why you are responding to this old thread or quoting me, but that is basically irrelevant. In this situation, if the OP wants to use the card in DX12 mode and already states they have Windows 10. Presumably they have a game in mind.

And further, Windows 10 doesn't look much like a phone interface. Aside from a slightly flashy start menu and a few settings in new menus it is basically the same. It can also be made to look almost like Windows 7 with a little effort, though I'm personally not sure why someone would do so. For the average user, as long as they can launch things like browsers and applications they are happy. Admittedly the OS has some flaws on the spam side of things and data collection practices that are questionable, but that is the world we live in.

I also know plenty of people who use social media that think the new start menu is great. Major companies made tiles for their services, so people are able to see facebook updates right there and all kinds of things. Microsoft App Store is still a joke, but there if you need it, I guess.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I know you aren't the only one, but I don't think opinions regarding an OS can ever be considered BS. My main issue with your post I laid out. It doesn't matter if you don't like Windows 10, the OP already has it and that is the OS in question and DX12 is on the table.

I can practically count the number of times I need to legitimately use the start menu since Windows 7, and I agree with Microsoft on this one. 9/10 times I use the quick launch 'favorite' applications. And beyond that I use the search function. I have no need to manually go through the menus to locate an application. And I can't really knock being able to move and edit tiles.

I still use 8.1 at work, and once you've customized the full screen start menu with your useful applications it becomes quite a handy quick menu. Again I very rarely use the verbose start menu, usually only after freshly installing an application.

My only annoyance with Windows 10 is a reduction in customization that were replaced with more simplified menus. Though that is again appearance related, I miss being able to set the 3D Canvas color but that is only one thing. Having some settings moved to the new format menus is also annoying, but that is only because they made changes. Any change would have basically been annoying. Other than that I have no real issues with it.

My biggest gripe might be the tile system being applied to Windows 2012 servers, which doesn't really fit well. And I suppose for 8.1 not having group policy or administrative functions for manipulating the tile system. Windows 10 does offer that as I recall from early releases.

If your big contention with Windows 10 is that it isn't really user friendly for modifying it, I can understand that, you are more experienced then the average user. But for the average user, a lot of those features are welcome.

There are plenty of threads for discussing Windows 10, though most are quite old I'm sure, if you want to continue there.

sshortguy1

Honorable
Feb 20, 2015

you forgetting the concept of w 10 it's not what they claimed it to be and been proven that it was false, so explain to me to be true if you can't then you know like everyone else
so explain to us why w 10 is so good ? if you can't then no need to explain

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I'm not sure what the concept of Windows 10 is supposed to be. Latest release of Windows? With design and feature concepts different from before? To be able to say that something is false you have to be able to say what the truth is supposed to be.

Windows Vista was poorly received due to its incompatibilities. Windows 7, really SP1, fixed all the lingering issues (mostly time needed by the vendors to make this stuff work). Windows 8 was a disaster in terms of usability, which is what most people remember. Windows 8.1 fixed most of the issues. Windows 10 is just a step further and I can't really recall too many complaints about it except the data gathering policies. My documents defaulting to One Drive is a bit annoying, but easily fixed.

I expected them to go to a subscription model by now, they haven't. They've relaxed a lot on licensing requirements. I can't really find any negative that would prevent me from using Windows.

I pretty much made my career on migrating an enterprise environment from XP to Windows 7, and the 7 to 8.1, and now 8.1 to 10. The features outweigh the downsides in my opinion.