Question My graphics card disappeared

Mar 19, 2019
Hello all,

Today I was using my laptop, ASUS ROG GL502VT with a NForce 970M, and got a power state failure. After restarting my computer and trying to hop into a game of league I got an error message saying that there was some DirectX error, then my card disappeared from the device manager. I tried re-downloading the driver, but it is saying there is no compatible hardware. Can anyone help?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, it sounds a lot like the GPU simply failed, leaving you with only the integrated graphics. Unless you still have an extended warranty or this is an MXM GPU (you'd have to check this to be sure, but I believe the ROG GLs for Skylake are all soldered), there's not a whole lot you can do.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Damn no extended warranty, that sucks to hear. Is it possible to replace, or would that just end up fucking more up?

If it's soldered, you'd have to swap out the entire motherboard, which would likely cost as much or nearly as much as a new laptop.

Depending on the connectors, an eGPU would also be a possibility.

I definitely wish I had sunnier news for you on this end. Gaming laptops work hard and die young. Mine only have a good survival record because I always have a lighter laptop for daily use and I only play games on them occasionally.

TRENDING THREADS