My graphics card freezez up

Playeradam321

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hi. I have a Nvidia Geforce 9100 in my few month old HP 2009m. At the beginning I was able to play all the games I wanted at pretty good graphics levels (except gta 4). After a few months, I was playing gta san andreas, and the game was running smoothly. Then out of nowhere, the fps dropped drastically to like 2-3 fps!!! I closed the game and every thing was slow on my pc. When i would open an explorer window, even that would open at like 1 fps. The problem last for about 5 minutes after I close the game.

I got a program that monitors my GPU temp and I discover that it's at 102 degrees IDLING!!! At the point where the game freezez up it's at 123 degrees!!! This is insane. I've looked everywhere on the net and have found nothing! I NEED AN ANSWER! PLEASE!

Solution
Yeah pretty sure it is integrated into the northbridge. Most likely the chip just went bad. You can't replace it, you would have buy a whole new mobo. I would highly recommend getting a new card asap. Using your 9100 could damage your system over time if its really getting as hot as it says.

If you do game, I would recommend 9800GT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nvidia+geforce+9800gt&x=0&y=0

A little pricey for a "quick fix", but it will certainly outperform your 9100, especially now that its toasted.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Buy a new card, chances are the chip is just going bad, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do for an integrated chip. Especially a chip with problems. You could pick up a reasonably priced PCI-e card that would do you much better.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
yea 9100 is onboard and most likely integrated into the northbridge, with it built into the nbridge they get silly hot, i have intel gma built into my board and the nbridge heatsink could cook an egg. what motherboard is it you have?

Playeradam321

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I got SIW and it told me this about the motherboard:

Property Value
Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
Model VIOLET
Version 3.02
Serial Number MS1C95R82502388

North Bridge NVIDIA nForce 720a Revision A2
South Bridge NVIDIA ID075C Revision A2

CPU AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor
Cpu Socket Socket AM2+ (940)

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah pretty sure it is integrated into the northbridge. Most likely the chip just went bad. You can't replace it, you would have buy a whole new mobo. I would highly recommend getting a new card asap. Using your 9100 could damage your system over time if its really getting as hot as it says.

If you do game, I would recommend 9800GT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nvidia+geforce+9800gt&x=0&y=0

A little pricey for a "quick fix", but it will certainly outperform your 9100, especially now that its toasted.

Solution