[SOLVED] My graphics card is spiking from 1850mhz to 200 - 500mhz

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,

I have a laptop Asus Rog GL503VM (i7 7700hq processor and GTX 1060 6gb gpu) and I experience FPS drops. Recently I used MSI Afterburner to track GPU and CPU info, and what I had seen shocked me... Whenever FPS drops GPU spikes even though its not throttling. FPS drops from like 200 to 40 or 30.

Some games I play:

• Fortnite
  • GTA V
  • Fallout 4
  • CS:GO
  • FNAF 1 - 4
  • Minecraft
  • PUBG Lite

Solution
Definitely get that storage drive replaced - make a backup or X-fer the important files to another drive before doing so, obviously.

should I get it into repair shop tommorow and tell them everything and can you tell me what they can do about it?
Not much I can offer here based on what was provided so far - I mean, that bit of OSD shows it's working fine, BUT the bad storage could be causing the issue. Every so often, the game does need to access those files, combined with a large number of bad sectors in the drive...

And one thing I know for sure is that it isn’t thermal throttling, because it’s designed to thermal throttle when CPU and GPU are higher than 91c - 94c. I watched benchmarks for it.
I kinda figured that...
Jan 26, 2020
The three don't run independent of one another. If the gpu spiked, then it's likely because the cpu or memory - perhaps both - choked first.
Behaving normally, from what you've provided so far.

-Cpu temps? Gpu?
-Usage of each cpu thread?
-Ram usage?
-Gpu usage?
The three don't run independent of one another. If the gpu spiked, then it's likely because the cpu or memory - perhaps both - choked first.
Behaving normally, from what you've provided so far.

-Cpu temps? Gpu?
-Usage of each cpu thread?
-Ram usage?
-Gpu usage?
Fortnite (low settings, view distance - far)

GPU - 85c - 67% - 26% - O% - 1% - 1734MHz
MEM - 1504MB - 4007MHz
CPU1 - 87c - 67% - 3410MHz
CPU2 - 87c - 19% - 3410MHz
CPU3 - 88c -58% - 3410MHz
CPU4 - 88c - 22% - 3410MHz
CPU5 - 81c - 48% - 3410MHz
CPU6 - 81c - 44% - 3410MHz
CPU7 - 84c - 52% - 3410MHz
CPU8 - 84c - 41% - 3410MHz
CPU - 88c (but when I change “Maximum Processor Power State” it’s 75c - 80c) - 44% - 3410MHz - 27.8 W
RAM - 6470MB - 8601MB
D3D11 - 294 FPS - 3.2 ms

I am pretty sure the issue is thermal throttling. 85C for GPU and 88C for CPU is definite thermal throttle for laptops. My laptop starts thermal throttling sometimes even below 70C

Clear dust, have the laptop in a clear - free of obstructs area and if possible buy a laptop stand with fan(s).

Reactions: brewcrew650
Jan 26, 2020
That's just the Afterburner OSD isn't it? That's definitely not during one of the 'hiccups' you experience...
Use Gpu-Z > Sensor tab, or Afterburner's real time graphs. Afterburner's OSD just shows the 'now'.
Phaaze 88, I recently got American Megatrends S.M.A.R.T status bad for SSD I think, and under heavy load I hear scratching HDD sound.

All other parts except battery (that I recently got out, I will change it soon) are under warranty, should I get it into repair shop tommorow and tell them everything and can you tell me what they can do about it?

And one thing I know for sure is that it isn’t thermal throttling, because it’s designed to thermal throttle when CPU and GPU are higher than 91c - 94c. I watched benchmarks for it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely get that storage drive replaced - make a backup or X-fer the important files to another drive before doing so, obviously.

should I get it into repair shop tommorow and tell them everything and can you tell me what they can do about it?
Not much I can offer here based on what was provided so far - I mean, that bit of OSD shows it's working fine, BUT the bad storage could be causing the issue. Every so often, the game does need to access those files, combined with a large number of bad sectors in the drive...

I kinda figured that. Those kinds of temps are normal for gaming laptops; not for their desktop counterparts though. Some people may confuse the 2.

My laptop starts thermal throttling sometimes even below 70C
You might want to get with the laptop manufacturer about that; it sounds like a bios level asspull.
To set a 70C throttle limit in a gaming laptop is some serious BS...

Solution
Jan 26, 2020
Phaaze 88, I recently got American Megatrends S.M.A.R.T status bad for SSD I think, and under heavy load I hear scratching HDD sound.

All other parts except battery (that I recently got out, I will change it soon) are under warranty, should I get it into repair shop tommorow and tell them everything and can you tell me what they can do about it?

I mean, that bit of OSD shows it's working fine
I just wanted to tell you that processor even though it’s not thermal throttling drops from 3410MHz to 2060MHz, and is there for some time.