My graphics card needs replacment?

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
My computer makes a high pitched noise when I do the windows experience index test. I took off the case and I am almost certain that it is the video card. I have a GTX 275 super clocked edition on an ASUS p6t deluxe v2 mobo. I think it has always made this noise when benchmarking and always attributed it to the fan. I heard though that this could be a sign of a failing capacitor. I can't remember if I registered it or not.
So how can I test if its the fan or the capacitor?
Will it be covered by any warranty if I didn't register it?

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Yeah it kinda does but a little more high pitched yet not so loud (if that makes since). I believe its the video card. But maybe it is the power supply? I sure hope it isn't. I ahve a TX850w power supply made by corsair. It only happens when the graphics card is being stressed. Didn't even consider the PSU because It is overkill on my system anyways. Maybe I should test my comp without the video card and see if it still happens.

Could be either, basically anything with caps, so could even be your mobo.

Had coil whine with a Coolermaster PSU before, and I've got it with both of my GTX570's, although I can only hear it if I increase the cards voltage. I've been told its nothing to worry about, still not a nice sound though, Very annoying.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I tried moving it to another slot and it still makes the noise. I want to be positive that it is the video card though before I peruse warranty. How can I test this? I don't have any other video cards to test with

There are some things you can do to lessen the noise. You can use a small amount of silicone on and around the coil which is common in industry. Also you can try more temporary methods like using thermal pads or even small heatsinks when that permits.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I would think that your GPU is more prone to having issues with coil whine than the PSU. Next time you buy a video card make sure it has solid state caps. Both my GTX 480s have them. ASUS ENGTX480 and MSI N480GTX M2D15.

Maybe it's time for an upgrade? The 2xx series was like... two years ago. Damn time flies.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I have just can't tell exactly where it is coming from.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Yes I have been considering upgrading to an sli setup with some 470's or something. Don't know if my 850w corsair power supply will be enough or not. I've never ran SLI before.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
yes, the gfx card itself and 850-watt i enough to run SLI but is your power supply SLI compatible....?
I'm sure it might be but you should verify that becuase of the required power plugs that most gfx cards require.
Almost positive it is SLI compatible. What should I be looking for on it and where exactly should I look?

Most units are sli/crossfire comparable. The label is just there for marketing. What you need to look for is if the unit is 80+ certified for efficiency and general quality. Your unit is fine unless you had a few power surges or brawn outs that may degrade the unit if it is not protected. The coil squeal is the result of load and discharge of the coils on the card and may be the psu as well. I already told you what you could do to help rid of the noise but if it is ware you can't live with it or there is other issues then rma asap. if you do nothing it will weaken the strength of the coil as it will eventually may suffer shorts in its windings. The coil is basically one long insulated wire with a thin clear coat. When the coil begins to make that noise during charge and discharge cycles it builds up a weak magnetic field and then it collapses (electrically) sending off a pules of energy down the circuit much like a cap would. However after a while when there is the whine there is more expansion and contraction of the coil than normally have taken place and it causes friction that wears down the insulation in some spots and eventually when it becomes thin enough or cracks a spark can jump causing a weak short. The coil will still work but it will be weaker than it was before and eventually it will fail. When it fails it will heat up much more than normal and burn. Some die to ware no current passes though while others become a fire hazard.