Question My graphics card only uses 25% no matter what i do

Jun 5, 2023
I bought a pre built PC around 6 months ago now and since i have got it i have never had my graphics card usage go above 25% when im playing any games from rainbow six seige to FiveM, I can run these games at max settings or minimum yet it just stays around 25%, My PC is a MSI MAG H510 infinite S3 the specs are i5 11400F 2.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 1 x 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, H510 M pro motherboard, Running windows 11, I'm unsure of what my PSU is, If anyone has any advice or a fix that would be great as my PC is getting out performed by marginally worse PCs as is, thank you!

First thing I noticed that will lower your PC's performance is single-channel RAM. You need 2x identical (to prevent potential incompatibilities) RAM sticks to run in dual-channel mode. Best thing to do for that is to buy a kit of 2x16GB and either keep your 1x16GB as backup or sell it on eBay or something.

While single-channel RAM doesn't typically lower GPU utilization that far, it can get you going in the right direction for maximizing performance. You may do some more troubleshooting before spending money.

Find out what PSU you have. You will likely have to take the cover off your PC case and look at it.

Reactions: marcuspatt

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
First thing I noticed that will lower your PC's performance is single-channel RAM. You need 2x identical (to prevent potential incompatibilities) RAM sticks to run in dual-channel mode. Best thing to do for that is to buy a kit of 2x16GB and either keep your 1x16GB as backup or sell it on eBay or something.

While single-channel RAM doesn't typically lower GPU utilization that far, it can get you going in the right direction for maximizing performance. You may do some more troubleshooting before spending money.

Find out what PSU you have. You will likely have to take the cover off your PC case and look at it.
I bought a pre built PC around 6 months ago now and since i have got it i have never had my graphics card usage go above 25% when im playing any games from rainbow six seige to FiveM, I can run these games at max settings or minimum yet it just stays around 25%, My PC is a MSI MAG H510 infinite S3 the specs are i5 11400F 2.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 1 x 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, H510 M pro motherboard, Running windows 11, I'm unsure of what my PSU is, If anyone has any advice or a fix that would be great as my PC is getting out performed by marginally worse PCs as is, thank you!
What model is your PC? I suspect this is either a PSU or cooling issue. Have you overclocked it?

Also, you don't need to buy a new 2x16gb kit; just buy one that is the same model as what you have now. However, I don't think this is the issue. Obviously you have the current driver installed for your card, correct?

Jun 5, 2023

i have checked and i have a FSP 500w PSU

Jun 5, 2023
What model is your PC? I suspect this is either a PSU or cooling issue. Have you overclocked it?

Also, you don't need to buy a new 2x16gb kit; just buy one that is the same model as what you have now. However, I don't think this is the issue. Obviously you have the current driver installed for your card, correct?
im unsure exactly what you mean by model, My PSU is a FSP 500w PSU, i haven't overclocked it as im unsure how tbh and yes my card is updated to the current driver

Jun 5, 2023
Display resolution could affect GPU utilization, such as a 720p TV not requiring full utilization of the RTX 3060 Ti.

Also, check temps to rule that out.
i am using a MSI G241 144Hz using 1920x1080 on most games, im also running through a Display Port over HDMI if that could make any difference

USAFRet

Titan
How so? Same MFR, same model, same specs. I have never had an issue with this. Can you explain what the differences could be to prevent these sticks from working in tandem, aka dual-channel??
The only guarantee of working is when it is sold as a specific set.

Before it is shipped, binning.
The sticks that actually work together go in the same package.

Sticks that come off the same assembly line on the same day may be just enough different to not work.

I recently did this with 2x 16GB and 2x 32GB.
Same Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4.

Orig:
2x 16GB, slot 2 & 4.

Add 2x 32GB, slot 1 & 3.

It booted up, but about 5 mins later, no internet.
Absolutely repeatable, with the 4 sticks in any slot combination.

Each pair works on its own just fine.

Sometimes mixing them does work just fine.
And sometimes it does not.

This has been seen here time and time again.

Reactions: dave.rara66
Jun 5, 2023
Display resolution could affect GPU utilization, such as a 720p TV not requiring full utilization of the RTX 3060 Ti.

Also, check temps to rule that out.
also i checked the temps and my card seems to be running around 55 degrees no matter if i am playing a game or not

Jun 5, 2023
Do you experience poor performance when you see 25% GPU usage? What are you using to monitor GPU usage?
I wouldn’t say “poor” per say, but the fps I get in games ext is almost on par with a friend of mine who has a GTX 1650 with a 10th gen i5 and we run the same settings, it consistently sits at 25% no matter what I play or do if I run maximum or minimum settings on games, with rainbow six siege for instance I run minimum settings and get 180fps with 25% usage or max settings and 80fps with 25% usage it just won’t budge, I use GeForce experience and take manager to see the GPU usage and they both display around 25% usage