[SOLVED] My graphics card prevents my PC booting

Aug 20, 2019
Hi guys,
I have a AMD Radeon R9 280 Sapphire (quite old). I also have a Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 motherboard with PCI-e 3.0. When I plug th card into the first PCI-e slot, the fans start spinning and the other fans light up as normal. However, the computer should beep once to indicate that everything is running normally, but this does not happen when the R9 is installed. I have tried a different graphics card and it works fine. At the moment, I have and even older Radeon HD 5770 Sapphire installed and its running normally.

CPU: Intel i5-4570
PSU: ThermalTake ToughPower 750W

Thanks any help would be welcome.

Solution
I have plugged in all the necessary cables from the PSU and the motherboard.
I get no beep sound whatsoever.
I don't have any means of testing the graphics card since I have no alternative PC to test it on.
Yes, the GPU has been used previously.
I am unable to see the BIOS screen, the display stays black.
I believe i have the latest BIOS installed but not sure.
The onboard graphics do function properly, however i have disabled them in order to force the computer to use the graphics card instead.

So the integrated gpu works and all cables are in... your card might be bad man (keep in mind "might") you need to find a way to test it, spare pc really is the only way in your case..

However booting and not showing screen could also...

treetops422

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Maybe, not likely but. Put your video card in with your system with the power unplugged. Hold down the power button for a minute. Try it out. This fix has helped me when my display resolution was not matching my pc on boot.

Did you plug the PCI-E cable to the GPU from your power supply ?

Do you get any beep sound ? Like 1 short, 3 long etc ?

Has the card previously worked on this PC before ?

You told the GPU is old, so did you buy it second hand ?

Try to clear and rest the CMOS/BIOS settings, and then try again.

Can you see the BIOS POST screen, or the display is totally blank/black ?

Do you have the latest system BIOS ?

Does the onboard graphics work properly ?

Aug 20, 2019
I don't have any means of testing the graphics card since I have no alternative PC to test it on.
The onboard graphics do function properly, however i have disabled them in order to force the computer to use the graphics card instead.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

So the integrated gpu works and all cables are in... your card might be bad man (keep in mind "might") you need to find a way to test it, spare pc really is the only way in your case..

However booting and not showing screen could also be ram it might have a problem with the gpu it's worth a try, if you got spare ram or 2 sticks try taking one out and doing the same with the other if that dosen't work.

sorry man that's all i know that can help you, good luck.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution
Aug 20, 2019
I do happen to have a Radeon HD 5770 that works fine with the RAM but as you say, the RAM might have a problem with the GPU itself. I have 4 sticks of RAM so I'll give it a go.
I'll try to find some way of testing the GPU also.
Thanks for the advice.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I do happen to have a Radeon HD 5770 that works fine with the RAM but as you say, the RAM might have a problem with the GPU itself. I have 4 sticks of RAM so I'll give it a go.
I'll try to find some way of testing the GPU also.
Thanks for the advice.

if your ram works with another gpu then it's probably not the ram that's the cause, however it's worth a try, but yeah test your GPU next, good luck.

Aug 20, 2019
Well, there is a switch on the side of the GPU but I'm not 100% sure what it does. Some people say it is to switch between boost and non-boost mode and others say it is to switch between legacy and UEFI. Anyway, I have tried the switch in both directions and got the same result with both.

treetops422

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Also, how do you check whether you're running the latest BIOS?
You can use CPU-Z, then compare it to the newest Bios on your mnfer website.
"Try to clear and rest the CMOS/BIOS settings, and then try again. " -Metal
Hope you tried metals solution.
If that does not work I would flash the Mobo Bios.
You can also try 1 stick of ram, then try the other stick by itself. Just to make sure you don't have a bad ram stick.

Aug 20, 2019
You can use CPU-Z, then compare it to the newest Bios on your mnfer website.
"Try to clear and rest the CMOS/BIOS settings, and then try again. " -Metal
Hope you tried metals solution.
If that does not work I would flash the Mobo Bios.
You can also try 1 stick of ram, then try the other stick by itself. Just to make sure you don't have a bad ram stick.
Ok. Thanks for the advice.