Question My graphics card started sparking and smoking while I was messing around in bios

Mar 30, 2019
I just replaced my power supply to an EVGA supernova 650 G3 because my computer shut off and wouldn’t turn on with the graphics card plugged in. I was in the bios just trying to adjust settings and see what my card could do (radion 580x) and it smoked and sparked and my computer shut off again. The gpu smells awful, like a fist full of pennies but more acidic, and is warm to the touch even 20 minutes later. Is the gpu fried? Should I be worried for anything else in my computer? Can I get the gpu repaired? What should I do?

D

Deleted member 14196

The GPU is probably destroyed I don’t think there would be any possible repair for that if it’s smoked and smells that bad. Perhaps your old power supply damaged the motherboard as well

Last edited by a moderator:

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
So you replaced your PSU, because your PC wouldn't turn on all over a sudden with your graphics card plugged in? After you overclocked the GPU?
If you are lucky it is only the GPU that is destroyed, but you might also have irreparably damaged your Slot on the motherboard.
Did you by any chance increase the voltage or anything related to power flow?
You should probably not do that out of the BIOS, but with specialized tools that keep track of every aspect of the GPU (especially temp).

Last edited: