My graphics card won't be detected.

RokkuonSu

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I've a ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card.
Everytime I play a game I'd get a graphics card error. I've pretty much noticed that Skyrim doesn't detect it at all.
I'm a beginner in this thing. Help is highly appreciated.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Well first obvious thing in this thread is the incorrect suggestion from Prit that you should check if its loose. Because if you can play games and display images it means the card is functioning as intended.

Graphics card error while in game or the more common name "Display driver stopped responding" means that it usually is a driver issue related problem. Perhaps you need to update to the latest drivers since AMD is always rolling out new ones to support games and applications. This is the latest drivers for your card http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

If you are playing any older games then you must revert the drivers to older versions as the new ones don't support them. But for Skyrim the new drivers should be fine.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Furmark is unreliable for testing. Numerous times I've used it on my AMD card and no crashes but when a game starts the overclock settings crashes. The more reliable benchmark would be to use Uniengine, either Heaven or Valley benchmark will immediately stresses all aspects of the GPU. Thats why the reviewers use them to test how much stress gpus can handle for their overclocked benches.

But in his case its not a stability problem since it only happens in games. Its a problem with old drivers and the usual "display corruption error" AMD has when CCC isn't working properly.