[SOLVED] My GT 1030's fan is making a noise and is not spinning properly.

HowAboutNo?

Prominent
Apr 5, 2022
So one day I noticed my GPU making random noise (sounds like someone with a lawn mower outside was cutting grass, buzzing noise) and firstly I thought that there might be a bit of dust compiling so I decided to clean it out. After I had done that, it stopped for 2-3 days, but then it happened again. I was confused so I decided to investigate deeper. I took off my pc cover and looked over the fans for any clues. I noticed that my fan was not spinning properly, sometimes slowing down or shaking a little bit while the noise was active, when the noise had stopped the fan was spinning smoothly and quietly. I reckon a faulty fan, but I'm no rocket scientist. Anything like this happened to you and you found a solution feel free to share it with me or should I not even bother and send it straight to the place I bought it from. I bought my pc already made from a legitimate electronic shop. It was already pre-built, and still has I believe 1 year warranty. Any help would be appreciated. 🙏

Solution
Also does anyone know why it actually makes the noise randomly? If yes, I'd like to know the reasoning for it, to happen again in the future I shall know instantly. Thank you for help in advance.
It could be that the fan bearing is damaged so there is a "bump" in there that causes friction. That would explain the sound and the uneven spin. If the bearing isn't damaged it could be a lump of dust in it, and that could be repairable.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your afflicted system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your case, how are the fans oriented in your build? If the fans used did not come with the case, please mention their makes/models or provide a link to them.

HowAboutNo?

Prominent
Apr 5, 2022
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz (4CPUs)
Motherboard: Hewlett packard 1998 (BIOS L01 v02.33)
Ram: 8GB 1600 MHz 1 stick.
SSD/HDD: Lexar 240GB SSD and Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1030 GT 2GB GDDR5 (Gigabyte)
PSU: Some random chinese built in 300W, would give a specific model and all, but everything on the PSU is in chinese.
Chassis: Hewlett Packard elitedesk, no outside fans.
Monitor: Hewlett Packard w2207

While writing this the noise came back and I noticed the fan randomly stop for like a second and then start spinning again. This happened two times. The noise does not show up when the GPU is working hard. It shows up randomly without a reason, really. I had GPU running on 25`C while nothing was open, so I don't think it's because of overheating.

Last edited:

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
It's only a GT 1030 so maybe you could remove the fan, see what connector it has, and then get a case fan with the same type of connector and has about the same width as the heatsink. Sometimes the fan screws can be used if the can get a grip between heatsink fins, but if that doesn't work you could try using zip ties.

HowAboutNo?

Prominent
Apr 5, 2022
I have looked online for the same fan and have only found it coming along side with a new gt 1030 which I do not need, any recommendation where I should look for it or what is the name or whatever to find only the fan without the GPU coming along? Also does anyone know why it actually makes the noise randomly? If yes, I'd like to know the reasoning for it, to happen again in the future I shall know instantly. Thank you for help in advance.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Also does anyone know why it actually makes the noise randomly? If yes, I'd like to know the reasoning for it, to happen again in the future I shall know instantly. Thank you for help in advance.
It could be that the fan bearing is damaged so there is a "bump" in there that causes friction. That would explain the sound and the uneven spin. If the bearing isn't damaged it could be a lump of dust in it, and that could be repairable.

Solution