[SOLVED] My GT 730 doesn't turn on

Solution
You said the computer works fine without the GT730, does that mean you took it out after the system wouldn't power on? As stated before, it sounds like there is a short somewhere. The only thing I can offer for a temporary solution is to is to put tape (electrical tape would be best, don't use cellulose like scotch or packing tape) on the video cards back plate so that no metal is touching the case and then try it again. EDIT Forgot to mention, don't put the screw back in unless you have access to a 6-32 nylon screw. It will be fine if it's tool-less though just put tape on all the contact points.

I've only seen a a grounding short twice before. First time was a system not turning on because of the power switch not...
Doesn't turn on is much worse than simply a black screen, and means a dead short somewhere. On the bright side, the PSU is designed to not turn on if such a condition exists, so no damage occurs.

Your HD Graphics 4400 IGP is roughly as fast as a GT 720 so a Kepler GT 730 isn't a large upgrade for 25w. A 49w Fermi GT 730 is probably worse.

You said the computer works fine without the GT730, does that mean you took it out after the system wouldn't power on? As stated before, it sounds like there is a short somewhere. The only thing I can offer for a temporary solution is to is to put tape (electrical tape would be best, don't use cellulose like scotch or packing tape) on the video cards back plate so that no metal is touching the case and then try it again. EDIT Forgot to mention, don't put the screw back in unless you have access to a 6-32 nylon screw. It will be fine if it's tool-less though just put tape on all the contact points.

I've only seen a a grounding short twice before. First time was a system not turning on because of the power switch not being grounded after installing a new motherboard in a case, which I solved that with nylon screws. The second time I had to remove the I/O plate from the case because nothing else worked. In both situations I ended up RMAing the motherboards. It's not a permanent solution, so you might need to get a different video card or a replacement motherboard (probably cheaper than a new or used video card.)

Last edited:
Solution
Having repaired more video cards than I care to admit, I will say that if a power mosfet on the card dead shorts then it just blows the fuse making the card "invisible." The PC continues to boot fine, just with a black screen. So the first thing I would look at is underneath the motherboard to see if something down there touches metal only when the bracket for a video card is screwed down, pushing everything else down too.

It's much more exciting when a CPU VRM mosfet dead shorts because it explodes.

Aug 25, 2019

I've only seen a a grounding short twice before. First time was a system not turning on because of the power switch not being grounded after installing a new motherboard in a case, which I solved that with nylon screws. The second time I had to remove the I/O plate from the case because nothing else worked. In both situations I ended up RMAing the motherboards. It's not a permanent solution, so you might need to get a different video card or a replacement motherboard (probably cheaper than a new or used video card.)
I'm going to try the tape method this week I hope it works