[SOLVED] My GTX 1070 is being out-performed by my friend's GTX 1060!?!?

Oct 16, 2019
Friends Build:
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCv2 6Gb
CPU - Ryzen 2600
Cooler - Stock Ryzen Cooler
RAM - Team T-Force Dark 3200MHz 2x8Gb CAS16
MB - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi (ATX)
SSD - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2, 512Gb
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb ST2000DM008 3.5in
PSU - Corsair CX650M Bronze
Case - NZXT H500

My Build:
GPU - Asus GeForce Strix GTX 1070 8G
CPU - Ryzen 3700x
Cooler - Corsair Hydro H60 v2
RAM - Team T-Force Dark 3200MHz 2x8Gb CAS16
MB - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi (ATX)
SSD - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2, 512Gb
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb ST2000DM008 3.5in
PSU - Corsair CX650M Bronze
Case - NZXT H500

A bit of back story:
My friend and I both initially purchased and built the same computer, however recently I've decided to upgrade my CPU and GPU. Back when I still had my old parts I tried overclocking my CPU and stupidly installed the wrong program (AMD Overdrive instead of AMD Master Utility), this caused windows to fail booting and eventually windows was reset to a previous version. After this issue and a failed CPU overclock attempt which prevented my BIOS booting, my computer has been performing slightly worse in all the games i used to play (just lower fps).

I've tried everything from resetting my BIOS and a clean install of windows to adjusting every setting imaginable. Unsure of what the issue was, I decided to swap out some parts til I got some results. I purchased a new 1080p 144Hz 1ms monitor, GPU, CPU, Cooler and swapped my RAM with my friend's RAM. Still my friend has more fps than I do!?!? I'm beginning to suspect my MB is at fault, though from what I've read faulty MB's only cause black screens, random shut downs and failure to boot. Got no idea what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What BIOS Version are you using with the 3700x ?
For the best performance you should use BIOS version 42c.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
F42c - 10.20 MB - 2019/09/12
Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA
Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
PCIe Gen4 disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to AGESA change

Note:
Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as BIOS F40 Note's description in advanced

Oct 16, 2019
What BIOS Version are you using with the 3700x ?
For the best performance you should use BIOS version 42c.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
F42c - 10.20 MB - 2019/09/12
Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA
Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
PCIe Gen4 disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to AGESA change

Note:
Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as BIOS F40 Note's description in advanced
I've already updated the BIOS to F42c, my 3700x isn't compatible pre-F40

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 16, 2019
In what way is his pc outperforming yours? Run gpu and cpu benchmarks separately and both at stock, narrow down where the issue might be.
I've bench marked my GPU with heaven and I'm getting around 100 average fps on max settings, where he's only hitting around 70 but he just gets more fps in all the games we play together, idk???

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Are your settings the exact same as his in those games?
Are you playing ta the same resolution and refresh rate (i.e. 1080p/60Hz, 1440p/120Hz, etc.) ?
Is you internet connection the exact same speed as his with the exact same number of people using it and is it wired or wifi ?
All these things will effect your fps when playing online games.

Reactions: Phaaze88

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I've bench marked my GPU with heaven and I'm getting around 100 average fps on max settings, where he's only hitting around 70 but he just gets more fps in all the games we play together, idk???
I was thinking more along the lines of 3d mark which has a free demo on Steam, at the end of the benchmark you get a separate CPU and GPU score, point is if you score higher than him in the cpu part than we can rule that out as the issue, but synthetic benchmark scores don't always translate to real world usage. You could also try userbenchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/ - which may be able to identify if there is any particular part of your build not playing nicely.

Oct 16, 2019
check your nvidia video settings and in game settings. do you have anything resource intensive open(onedrive, antivirus)?
I've pretty much optimized every setting there is in my Nvidia control panel. Come to think of it I'll have to try closing my OneDrive and see if that helps. I'll get back to you..