[SOLVED] My gtx 1080 oc armor idles at around 56c with no fan usage. Should I set up a custom fan curve? if so how?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I have a 3 year warranty on my pc but Im pretty sure afterburner would void that because its an overclocking utility, and overclocking or the perception you attempted to would void the warranty. Can I set up something in the bios to have fan speed running under 60c so that my gpu doesn't idle at 56c? I use my computer for hours even when not gaming so it seems wasteful to have something running that hot when its not under load. Should I even bother or is there a good reason these cards ship with this set up?

Solution
Usually thats called Zero fan mode, until it reaches certain temperature (eg. 60*C?) then it start ramping up the fans.
And no, I dont think so the overclocking utility for using only to control the fan speed voids the warranty, mostly the temperature provided from overclocking can do that (eg increasing voltage and very rarley bare MHz overclocking of GPU core and Memory).
Usually thats called Zero fan mode, until it reaches certain temperature (eg. 60*C?) then it start ramping up the fans.
And no, I dont think so the overclocking utility for using only to control the fan speed voids the warranty, mostly the temperature provided from overclocking can do that (eg increasing voltage and very rarley bare MHz overclocking of GPU core and Memory).

Solution

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
your high idle temp may be due to poor case ventilation or high ambient temps, on top of the poor performance of that cooler in reviews. what you may want to do is add another case fan or two or just leave it. idle temps aren't nearly as important as temps under load. I would just leave it, as mentioned above the fans aren't supposed to kick on until 60c

I use my computer for hours even when not gaming so it seems wasteful to have something running that hot when its not under load.
In what way is it wasteful? If anything, the graphics card is using slightly less power by not running the fans. Either way, it will put out the same amount of heat, the fan being on just dissipates that away from the card's heatsink and into your case more effectively.

And it seems unlikely that those kinds of temperatures would cause harm to the card. As for why the manufacturer designed it that way, it's primarily to help keep your system quieter when the graphics card is not under load.