[SOLVED] My GTX 1650 Fans seems to have stopped spinning

Nov 13, 2021
So, I have been using this Dell Optiplex 990 for roughly a year now, and I recently decided to clean it using canned air, but before hand the fans were very loud and rampant whenever I played a graphically intense game, So I clean most of it and then after a few days the fans to the GPU stopped spinning. It registers my monitors just fine, but when I try to launch a game its pretty much on a timer until it decided to throttle the performance due to the high heats and nothing to cool off the gpu. I tried opening it again and cleaning it again, reinstalling the drivers, I even reinserted the GPU a few times. Nothing seems to get it going.

I'd appreciate any help at all.

Solution
What case?

Removing the fan is the key.

Be sure that you are using the proper size screwdriver. There are different sized and shaped Phillips bits and using an incorrect fit could strip the slots on the screws.

The bit should fit snug into the screw with no wobble or looseness. With the screwdriver directly perpendicular into the screw head if at all possible.

With the correct bit then it is likely that you will be able to achieve sufficient torque to loosen the screws.

Unfortunately, as with many products, the screws are being made with low strength metals that easily round out, break, etc..

Try removing the screws when the system is cold. If necessary remove any nearby system components so a screwdriver slip will not...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

When you cleaned the fans did you blast the canned air at the blades causing the blades to rapidly spin? Doing so can damage bearings.

Nov 13, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

When you cleaned the fans did you blast the canned air at the blades causing the blades to rapidly spin? Doing so can damage bearings.
Sorry for the late response.

[Specs]
Ram: 16GB DDR3
Disk Drive: 2TB HDD (1.6TB Used)
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
PSU: 240W Dell 3YKG5 (Model: d249es-00)

Due to how the case is, I don't believe I hit the fans hard enough to make them spin, the only instance where that has seem to happen was the CPU fan and that fan works just fine. Even taking it out of the case and trying to move it with canned air or flicking it with my finger seems to get nothing out of it. Not even MSI Afterburner can make it move, and I can't seem to take out the fan either as when I try my Phillips screwdriver, the screws holding it in place wont budge.

Ralston18

Titan
What case?

Be sure that you are using the proper size screwdriver. There are different sized and shaped Phillips bits and using an incorrect fit could strip the slots on the screws.

The bit should fit snug into the screw with no wobble or looseness. With the screwdriver directly perpendicular into the screw head if at all possible.

With the correct bit then it is likely that you will be able to achieve sufficient torque to loosen the screws.

Unfortunately, as with many products, the screws are being made with low strength metals that easily round out, break, etc..

Try removing the screws when the system is cold. If necessary remove any nearby system components so a screwdriver slip will not damage them.

You must be very careful about the removal process. Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions.

Solution
Nov 13, 2021
What case?

Try removing the screws when the system is cold. If necessary remove any nearby system components so a screwdriver slip will not damage them.

You must be very careful about the removal process. Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions.
I have a Dell Optiplex 990 case, I went and bought a small screwdriver kit, and ended up unscrewing the fan. I dusted it off and unplugged and replugged the things it was attached to, but no dice. I think I might just have to replace the fans.