Question My GTX 460 clock speed gets stuck at 405MHz. How can I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2020
Hello, I have a GTX 460 which is overclocked to 835MHz and 2100 Mem clock and it runs perfectly for a while and running under ideal temps (around 70ish degrees celcius) and then suddenly midgame (example - rocketleague or csgo) goes straight down to 405MHz and is stuck there unless I disable and reenable my graphics card from device manager or restart my computer alltogether. Now, I have tried some methods, such as using DDU to fully reinstall my drivers and increasing voltage, but none worked. I also made sure that my PSU is not the problem as I had just bought it brand new and it is a corsair 550W which makes me speculate that the PSU isnt the problem. I have also tried putting my preferred option to maximum performance in the NVIDIA settings.

My CPU is a Q6600 overclocked to 2.7ghz

Please help, after endless searching on google and not finding a fix, I've come to make an account here and start this thread to help myself and others who are facing the same problem. I shall gladly answer any questions in order to fix this problem. Thank you.

Mar 26, 2020
Like I said, normally the max temps my GPU reaches during these games are around 70ish celcius and 80 at max. I dont think that would dethrottle my GPU. So I dont really believe that temps are the reason why my GPU is dehtrottling

Mar 26, 2020
Well, I would assume that would be normal too, until you realise the fact that after it has been underclocked to 405MHz, it will never go back up and just get stuck there. But I'll show you what happens when it plays games.

My little brother was playing roblox so I just let him play and MSI Afterburner was open the entire time while he was playing Roblox in fullscreen. http://prntscr.com/rqsv5r

The max temps it reads was 56 and Im guessing it underclocked during then. Note that this usually is random, as sometimes when Im playing CSGO at fullscreen it can reach to 70 degrees then underclock, and can actually stay on the overclock settings for entire game sessions, but then randomly sometimes it just decides to underclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS