[SOLVED] my GTX 770 running bad compared to others?

Mar 10, 2021
heya, so I have a i5 4440 paired with GTX 770 and I have been watching other peoples videos and they have not been peforming as it should be. If anyone could let me know why that would be great :]. Thanks.

my specs are:

i5 4400
Gigabyte H81M-HD3
8gb ram
MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr 2GB
320GB HDD
650w PSU EVGA

On games like fortnite, people are running it at around 160-190fps on LOW settings, I am running 80-120 on LOW settings.

Also im not sure if the HDD could be causing it since when im on Fortnite its always at 100% usage, Thanks :]

Last edited:
Solution
Fps is a function of the cpu, not the gpu. Cpu sends all the frames to the gpu which paints the picture. If the cpu can only send 80-120fps to the gpu, you could put a 3090 there instead and still you'd only have 80-120fps. A gpu cannot increase what a cpu sends it, it can only decrease if the detail levels or resolution are too high.

And your hdd is slammed. Which means the cpu isn't getting the info fast enough.

I'd start looking to add ram. It's a safe bet that 8Gb isn't enough, so windows is using pagefile to portion out a section of the hdd as virtual ram and driving usage upto 100%. Which slows everything way down.

If you look at the in-game detail settings (ignore the preset values) you can undoubtedly find many of the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is a function of the cpu, not the gpu. Cpu sends all the frames to the gpu which paints the picture. If the cpu can only send 80-120fps to the gpu, you could put a 3090 there instead and still you'd only have 80-120fps. A gpu cannot increase what a cpu sends it, it can only decrease if the detail levels or resolution are too high.

And your hdd is slammed. Which means the cpu isn't getting the info fast enough.

I'd start looking to add ram. It's a safe bet that 8Gb isn't enough, so windows is using pagefile to portion out a section of the hdd as virtual ram and driving usage upto 100%. Which slows everything way down.

If you look at the in-game detail settings (ignore the preset values) you can undoubtedly find many of the graphical settings like character detail levels can be increased and not affect fps at all. It'll only be the cpu details that'll drop fps lower with added work.

Solution
Mar 10, 2021

If you look at the in-game detail settings (ignore the preset values) you can undoubtedly find many of the graphical settings like character detail levels can be increased and not affect fps at all. It'll only be the cpu details that'll drop fps lower with added work.
Thanks, I have also done some research and found out that Fortnite is a very cpu demanding game... hence why my fps is low. However every other game is running how it is suppose to.... still gonna get a SSD to see if it makes a difference anyway. Thanks :]

TRENDING THREADS