[SOLVED] My GTX 970 Started to make loud noises.

Solution
Is my gpu fan dying?

One of my molex fans was doing something such in the beginning and after the noice got louder and a little luft got visible, I got pissed off and threw it away.

My gtx 1060 had a noicy fan as well while also with a bit luft, though it was a little different sound there. I simply latched 2x 12 cm fans instead and it is also running cooler than with stock fans while also with fdb bearing & high quality. Well, I was going to put them in the case one way or another :)

If it is not too difficult for you, you can remove the current GPU fans and connect one 120-mm or 90-mm fan to your mobo/molex and latch it to the heatsink of your gpu, closest/centered to the chip's location (check temperatures with MSI...
Is my gpu fan dying?

One of my molex fans was doing something such in the beginning and after the noice got louder and a little luft got visible, I got pissed off and threw it away.

My gtx 1060 had a noicy fan as well while also with a bit luft, though it was a little different sound there. I simply latched 2x 12 cm fans instead and it is also running cooler than with stock fans while also with fdb bearing & high quality. Well, I was going to put them in the case one way or another :)

If it is not too difficult for you, you can remove the current GPU fans and connect one 120-mm or 90-mm fan to your mobo/molex and latch it to the heatsink of your gpu, closest/centered to the chip's location (check temperatures with MSI Afterburner or similar, at least in the beginning). And if the sound disappears, the fans are clearly the reason. (later on can put 2-3 fans if you decide and if there is enough space and connections, preferrably set 2+ ones working on 50% power via bios on 3- or 4-pin connection to motherboard). This little pciE slot nearby seems covered and unused anyway.
90-mm fans may actually be a better idea as three ones mb fit there more easily, but depends on connections, and via molex percentage of power can be regulated only with controllers.

Solution
Oct 10, 2020

If it is not too difficult for you, you can remove the current GPU fans and connect one 120-mm or 90-mm fan to your mobo/molex and latch it to the heatsink of your gpu, closest/centered to the chip's location (check temperatures with MSI Afterburner or similar, at least in the beginning). And if the sound disappears, the fans are clearly the reason. (later on can put 2-3 fans if you decide and if there is enough space and connections, preferrably set 2+ ones working on 50% power via bios on 3- or 4-pin connection to motherboard). This little pciE slot nearby seems covered and unused anyway.
90-mm fans may actually be a better idea as three ones mb fit there more easily, but depends on connections, and via molex percentage of power can be regulated only with controllers.
do you think lubricating the fan would help?

lubricating the fan

Probably, if you can apply on the bearing; I've read about ppl doing it succesfully and helping about the sound, but not on GPU fans. When I tried to disassemble my molex-fan, it just broke in the end and I gave up. Probably it was a very-low quality one.

Also check if there is something loose visibly, or a loose screw somewhere, after putting out the gpu from the pciE slot.

Oct 10, 2020
Well, maybe Asus does it better with quality, but this is a GPU made also some years ago. (seven? five? six?) Asus do have something there about quality, though personally did not have any issues when I used a gigabyte's 1050. Fans just wear with usage.
I bout my 970 in 2016, i dont think fans should only last 4 years. Do you recommend ASUS over other brands?

It isn't only brands. Nowadays' gpus have some more quality, and the usage is important, as any gpu used for mining or all-day 24/7 gaming may lose fans quickly.

I haven't used anything from asus; my local sellers recommended ASUS but also said that 'it's not rlly miles ahead'. Probably if I cared really much about coil whine or gpu fans, I'd go for it over other brands, but I always prefer to custom cool my things, and I cover the wines with case, metal and soft mattery. It's up to you. Maybe the quality they offer is the reason for them sometimes having bigger price.