[SOLVED] My guy keeps crashing under high loads

Sam57754

Prominent
Sep 4, 2019
My pc is homemade it has an i52400
12gb of ddr3
And a new 1050ti the power supply is 500w gold 80+ and is EVGA so not an issue and my motherboard has pcie 2.1
But for unknown reasons it keeps crashing when vram usage goes above 1470mb out the supposed 4gb of vram it has does anyone know how to fix this thanks in advance

Solution
Ok, the gpu looks legit. In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings, is power plan on either Adaptive, or Max Performance?

Also, I now I believe I've figured out why it keeps crashing!
1)Your current 12GB memory configuration has you mixing DDR3(Hypertec) and DDR2(Patriot)! They have to be the same type. You can do 2x DDR2 or 2x DDR3, but not combine them.

2)An old motherboard like that isn't going to have a wide range of supported memory modules, and 1, or possibly BOTH sticks aren't officially compatible with that motherboard.
-Test each stick separately - NOT WITH MSI KOMBUSTOR.
https://www.memtest86.com/ (requires a spare usb drive)

-If you do not have a spare usb drive, then get Prime95...

Sam57754

Prominent
Sep 4, 2019
new used? or new from ebay?
use gpuz to look at the spec?
second hand from cex but hasnt had back screw warranty sticker voided
it is a asus strix version and gpuz says it checks out normal and device manager says its fine
although in events it says "Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C10&SUBSYS_20178086&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." when it crashes

second hand from cex but hasnt had back screw warranty sticker voided
it is a asus strix version and gpuz says it checks out normal and device manager says its fine
although in events it says "Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C10&SUBSYS_20178086&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." when it crashes

just because the sticker is not voided doesn't mean a 2nd hand part will still have any warrenty. especially if bought off ebay

Sam57754

Prominent
Sep 4, 2019
Also I might add when my pc starts up the 6 pin light is whight but the NVIDIA light on the card is white for a second then orange I think it could mean something

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
game max 500w
Well now, I believe we may have found the source of the problem here...
Replace that psu. It's not even a true 500w unit. It's real output on the 12V rail, which is what primarily powers your PC, is only 390w. That's not even taking into account the quality of the parts inside.

could increasing the voltage on the gpu help?
No. That'd actually make things worse.

Sam57754

Prominent
Sep 4, 2019
Replace that psu. It's not even a true 500w unit. It's real output on the 12V rail, which is what primarily powers your PC, is only 390w. That's not even taking into account the quality of the parts inside.

Ok i have got a evga 600 watts 80+ white psu and the 1050ti still crashes at high vram usage and just randomly please someone help can i cap my vram usage or something like that

TRENDING THREADS