My hard disk drive reports 65536 bad sectors.

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I have a 250GB hard disk drive which I bought in 2006. It never had any problem.

Yesterday I installed Hard Disk Sentinel and the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic of the program says that there are 65536 bad sectors on the drive, which is exactly the max length of a 16 bit number.

Should I be worried or is it just a reporting error of SMART? Thanks for any answers.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Have you been making routine backups of the OS and Data partitions onto external media before this situation happened? If yes, find, download, run manufacturer's diagnostic software - and go from there. If no backup, make backups with Verify=On real soon, the run manufacturer's diagnostics.

Apr 12, 2018

Thanks, I will run Seagate's diagnostic tool and see what it comes up with. And yes, my OS and data are fully backed up.

Apr 12, 2018

Thanks for the reply, do you think a new drive will be faster than my current one? Does a hard drive's performance degrade over time?

Apr 12, 2018
Unfortunately Seagate's SeaTools utility could not detect my drive.
I have also tried Acronis Drive Monitor and it says the disk's health is at 17% while Hard Disk Sentinel says that it's at 3%. They report different findings, strange...

As long as it's 7200RPM it should be fast, which most modern day hard drives are.