My hard drive is a non system disk and I can't access its files

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hello, I have the problem I have written in the title. Here is what it shows me on task manager:

And my boot drive:

Here is the disk management:

I can't access documents,pictures,music,videos because I don't have permission. On security tab, I'm the owner but I can't change permissions for any user.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I used to do that in safe mode for my disks but its been a few years since i owned a windows pc.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/29fab374-1f59-4c0f-9f5a-9eebff0e3b38/resetting-security-permissions-on-my-secondary-partition-local-disk?forum=w7itprosecurity
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/just-reinstalled-windows-permissions-on-secondary/df00a0fe-061a-43e9-92e0-5fcb11c191f4

Do your own research to see if thats the issue, but heres a start with two threads on the subject

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
So i booted into safe mode, checked documents, security tab still couldn't edit any permissions but I could tick "replace all child object permissions..." so I did.
Also I could change its location to my boot drive. Now I changed it again to my hdd. Then I noticed that my ssd (boot drive) doesn't have enough space so I deleted the windows.old folder because yesterday I upgraded to windows 10 1809 (I had 1803).

Probably this wasn't a good idea because windows button doesn't work, Firefox shows me the message "Firefox is already running but not responding. To open a new window, you must terminate the old Firefox task".
I tried running chkdsk for my ssd it was completed in seconds. I went again to security tab for documents, my user was missing so I added it and checked full control and the box for subcontainers. I tried opening an excel file but I get a message that it either is read only or encrypted so I unchecked the read only square from documents. It turns out that I have really messed up my files and I don't know what to do first..

USAFret it's time to show up...

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I dont mean to come off as mean man but i think you didnt research it properly first.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10 i dont think all hope is lost , i just think you need to read a lot more articles on ways to do this. It may come as a comfort that when i started learning to do that, i royally messed up as well. take a breather, read a lot, and fix it. by the time youre done youll be advising others.

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

Yea, I'm ok with that but now I have a new problem with windows. Programs don't respond, windows button doesn't work, on settings when I click on update and security the window closes and I can't reset windows.

Also I can access excel files only from safe mode. I'm the owner but I can't change permissions for other users. This is crazy!

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
make\ sure that your admin permissions are absolute. look for command prompt ways to reset privileges across the board on the whole system, do a ton of research on the subject. you can always reinstall windows on your boot drive :)C) so its not like you cant reset it, but you do have options
https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/reset-windows-10-from-command-prompt-4348.html dont just rely on what i post, search all over and read everything

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
also look into registry editing and do not!!! just jump into it. registry editing can really screw things up. Ive solved and created a ton of problems through the registry. this isnt something you learn in a weeks, registry editing takes months to get a grip on, but you can uproot viruses by it and do a ton of useful things

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

I tried creating a custom image file with the help of this site:
https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/custom-refresh-image-windows-10-4348.html

But when it's saving image on 6% I get the error 112 that there is not enough space on the drive. At first I thought that because my ssd is using 90gb and my hdd had 78 free, it couldn't copy all the files there. Now that my hdd has 92gb free I still get the same error.

I didn't find something on the internet so I'm posting here so someone can help me faster... I don't wanna install programs from the begginning that's why I'm trying this method.

misar

Proper
Sep 25, 2018

Probably better to buy a new computer. You seem to have destroyed this one.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Been there done that, all due to guessing rather than researching first. You should have just entered into the permissions as admin and been able to take control of your drive , had you read enough youd have found the way to do it, but screwing up isnt a bad thing, learning what not to do is a great tool as well. In your case, when i did the same I just reinstalled windows and started again only AFtER reading more about it.