[SOLVED] my hard drive is driving me crazy / dynamic HDD

ba.theexpert

Honorable
Aug 16, 2017
so i need to install windows on a single drive in my hdd that apparently became dynamic
so i can copy my one terabit of data to my pc ... im wondering if there is anyway of installing something on it so i can copy my data then format the whole HDD

Solution
so i need to install windows on a single drive in my hdd that apparently became dynamic
so i can copy my one terabit of data to my pc ... im wondering if there is anyway of installing something on it so i can copy my data then format the whole HDD

You may want to start at the beginning here, post a screenshot of your Disk Management windows and explain how the setup is now. If you have multiple drives you need to explain what has what on it.

The most straight forward way is to just start clean, wipe the disk fully during Windows setup, create a new partition on the drive as it installs Windows. That will wipe the disk but set it up as it should be. If you have multiple disk drives you would want to unplug the others till...

You may want to start at the beginning here, post a screenshot of your Disk Management windows and explain how the setup is now. If you have multiple drives you need to explain what has what on it.

The most straight forward way is to just start clean, wipe the disk fully during Windows setup, create a new partition on the drive as it installs Windows. That will wipe the disk but set it up as it should be. If you have multiple disk drives you would want to unplug the others till Windows is fully installed on the main drive (that should be on the lowest number SATA port).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

ba.theexpert

Honorable
Aug 16, 2017

The most straight forward way is to just start clean, wipe the disk fully during Windows setup, create a new partition on the drive as it installs Windows. That will wipe the disk but set it up as it should be. If you have multiple disk drives you would want to unplug the others till Windows is fully installed on the main drive (that should be on the lowest number SATA port).
thanks for your response ... i have a one tra HDD and thats the only one i got and i also doesnt have any sort of os on it it includes 4 drives that i was planing to install windows on the smallest one without formatting anyother...
what about linux do you think i can install it without wiping the whole drive ?

thanks for your response ... i have a one tra HDD and thats the only one i got and i also doesnt have any sort of os on it it includes 4 drives that i was planing to install windows on the smallest one without formatting anyother...
what about linux do you think i can install it without wiping the whole drive ?

How did you get a drive with multiple partitions on it without an operating system? If you only have that single drive you should have something for backups anyway. I suggest you get a second drive, solid state would be best for the speed and even 500gb ones are pretty cheap now.

Partitioning a single drive is not really used much now, it used to be a thing years ago when people wanted to keep distinctions between their files but with disk sizes and cheap cost along with faster and better indexing for searching no-one really partitions singles drives into a bunch of drive letters.