Question My Hard Drive Letters Changed (And It Wasnt Me Who Changed Them)

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I have 4 drives, which I spent time setting up as c/d/e/f about 8 months ago. Just now noticed that a shortcut wasnt working. When I investigated, I noticed that my drives had been renamed c/e/f/z but it wasnt me who changed them. Any idea what could have caused this? Or what's going on?

Windows 10

Last edited:

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Are they all separate disks or partitions or combination of them ?.
They are all separate disks (2TB SSD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB HHD). Im thinking of just changing them back with the Windows 10 Disk Management Tool (hopefully that wont mess anything up) but it just seems super strange that they changed on their own,

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would very closely check that f/z drive to be sure nothing wierd happened to it.

'Z' is generally a designator for a mapped network drive. Plugging in a drive "starts" from the beginning of the alpha. and mapped drives start at the back. Sure you didn't accidentally hit a key while in My PC?

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I guess I cant be 100% sure but I didnt notice anything strange until now. The contents of the drives seem to be the same. The drive that is now 'Z' is the 500GB drive that I just use to store a backup/system restore files currently.