My hard drive wont format and wont delete the partitions help me

bantol

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I cant format my hard disk and even the partitions wont delete everytime i open my PC it wont open always load at starting windows......i dont know what to do.. i think its lock or something....can someone help me...???

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Your problem is a little confusing, so I'll throw in some ideas and you can pick what ever applies.

You cannot format the active partition Windows is currently running on. It's like picking yourself up with your bootstraps... it won't happen. You can insert the Windows Installation CD, or any number of partition manager boot disks (Hiren's is my favorite http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ ), and format the drive outside of Windows.

Edit: Most of the partition managers on Hiren's can be used inside Windows if the built-in partition manager is causing the problem. /edit

If you're having trouble booting into something other than Windows, letting us know what kind machine you're using will help in determining exactly what keys to push (model, part numbers, manufacturers, etc). When you reboot, there should be an option to "press xx to select boot device/order" where you can select your CD drive. If there isn't an option for that, open the BIOS and manually set your CD drive to boot before the hard drive.

Steven Arnold

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hello Friends,

If you have the hard drive in your computer then right click on My Computer and select Manage. Now click on Disk Manager to the left. Find the drive. If you have it in your computer as a slave, or using an external device, then the directory will probably be E:\ or F:\ and not C:\ But look for it in Disk Manager and find the directory letter and then you can format that and install windows operating system. If it has no partitions on it you can right click on it and select 'Create Partition' then format the partition and again install windows. When you format it be sure to select the file format as FAT32.

Thank You.
Steven Arnold :)

HP Proliant Dl360 G7

Ratlle

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Hello guys i have the same problem: Os windows 8,40 gb ide wd caviar in the docking station.I find the volume in the disk manager ,when right clik on the volume it's active only proprieties and change the letter of the volume.can anyone help me?