My Hard Drive won't read!

beowuwlf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I have a SimpleTech HD that I ue for all of my XBox storage and I use it to transfer files. I also got a new computer for christmas, but when I try to hook my HD up it installs the driver(if i had just uninstalled the device) but the it doesnt appear any where! (Trust me, I have checked everywhere, like Device Manager and Disk Management.) It still works on my xbox and my other 2 computers, but not on my new one! Any help?

beowuwlf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Well, no, I really didn't think that would change anything. I will try that now, and for reference I use it working on: Windows 7 Laptop, Windows 8 Laptop, and XBox. It doesn't work on my XP desktop.(Actually it's not new, more of a hand-me-down from my dad's work. 4 years old, but it can run anythng new on med-high settings. Rather state of the art for its time.)
'

beowuwlf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

What Malicious file? And I don't know if it matters(it probably does) but when I put my HDD into my other computers it asks me to scan and fix. I said hell no, because I figured it would wipe it. Also it is a 160 gb HDD. AND UCView didn't see it.

The fact that it works (worked?) on an Xbox would suggest that it is formatted as FAT32.

In fact you stated that "it still works on my xbox and my other 2 computers", yet now you say that "when I put my HDD into my other computers it asks me to scan and fix". So what happened in the meantime?

Moreover, initially you said "on" whereas now you are saying "in". Have you actually removed the drive from its enclosure and are you now connecting it internally?

Is your enclosure powered from the USB port? If so, then try a Y-cable.

A standard USB port is current limited to 500mA. A Seagate ST9500325AS drive, for example, requires about 850mA during spinup, and about 400mA thereafter. A Y-cable is therefore sometimes necessary to pick up power from two USB ports.

beowuwlf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Okay, let me clarify.
1) Yes, it is FAT32
2)It works in them, and has for months, but beacause it has XBox storage on it which cannot be seen without an external program beause the XBox doesn't let more than a 16 GB external be hooked up (it divided 16gb from the total 160 to be reserved for xbox storage) the computer reads the HDD to have a corrupted partition (I think). I just click the "Do not scan and fix" option. It works fine afterwards.
3) No. It is in its enclosure. If I took it out, how could I use it for XBox storage?

4) You are forgetting it works on my other 2 computers, using only one port.

Some USB ports are OK with temporary overcurrents while others are not. I've seen this behaviour in other storage forums. Typically a user will report "beeping" sounds as the drive tries to spin up. BTW, USB 2.0 has a current limit of 500mA whereas USB 3.0 is 900mA. Could that explain the difference?