[SOLVED] My harddrive has a sound when i turn on my notebook

May 12, 2020
Hi guys, anyone know why my notebook making a sound tek tek tek tek when i first turned on my notebook? I think that come from my harddrive, Is that normal? Sorry for my bad english

Solution
I recorded the sound, like this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NdpwvirqXxOYOfFRI323AdvpLzFzjaC/view?usp=drivesdk
Only happen once when i start my laptop
That could well be the heads doing something weird.

But, whether this drive lasts for another 5 years, or dies in the next 5 minutes..have you started a good backup routine?

I make no predictions either way.
But we see far too many instances of "It was doing weird things, and I was going to save my data tomorrow."
oops...it died, and all your stuff is actually gone.

Not sure what you want us to tell you.
We cannot predict the eventual time and date of death for that. No one can.
But it will surely die, eventually.

How valuable is your time and data?
May 12, 2020
If your notebook HDD is starting to make sounds you never heard before I would start by making a backup of any files you don't want to lose to an external HDD or USB flash drive. Download CrystalDiskInfo and look at the drive's health.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZF4QCFTmm32kMMnQJQK20TdIZOoEGpg-
my hdd is still good, but the sound is tek ... tek .. when I turn on the laptop, after that it doesn't sound anymore, is that still normal? some people say that the hard drive does make a noise like that.

USAFRet

Titan
Some drives make noises. A lot has to do with what they are mounted to.

But if it starts making NEW noises, that is not a good thing.
In any case, if you're relying on the noise or lack of noise, or some testing software to warn you...you have waited too long.
I've seen brand new drives go from seemingly perfect to absolute dead in 36 hours. It was 5 weeks old.
I've seen a solid state drive go from 100% working to absolute dead, in 5 minutes.

That drive could last another 5 years. Or it might die as I'm typing this.

Safety of your data needs to happen ALL the time. Not just when you suspect an issue. If it is any data you care about, anyway.

May 12, 2020
Some drives make noises. A lot has to do with what they are mounted to.

But if it starts making NEW noises, that is not a good thing.
In any case, if you're relying on the noise or lack of noise, or some testing software to warn you...you have waited too long.
I've seen brand new drives go from seemingly perfect to absolute dead in 36 hours. It was 5 weeks old.
I've seen a solid state drive go from 100% working to absolute dead, in 5 minutes.

That drive could last another 5 years. Or it might die as I'm typing this.

Safety of your data needs to happen ALL the time. Not just when you suspect an issue. If it is any data you care about, anyway.
so you can't take a conclusions about what happened to my drive?

so you can't take a conclusions about what happened to my drive?

Unless a professional open your drive inside a Recovery Clean Room and look at what's wrong with it there is no way we can tell for sure what happened to your drive.

The only thing that we can be sure about is that if your drive just started making new sounds it means that you should do any backup now and just keep using the drive until it dies or replace it.

May 12, 2020
Unless a professional open your drive inside a Recovery Clean Room and look at what's wrong with it there is no way we can tell for sure what happened to your drive.

The only thing that we can be sure about is that if your drive just started making new sounds it means that you should do any backup now and just keep using the drive until it dies or replace it.
Thanks for you informations, i'll start to backup my data

May 12, 2020

Even though CrystalDiskInfo shows that my drive is still healthy, is that still inaccurate?

D

Deleted member 14196

How do you know it’s your hard drive? Have you opened up the laptop and listen with a cardboard tube to see where the sound is coming from?

May 12, 2020
How do you know it’s your hard drive? Have you opened up the laptop and listen with a cardboard tube to see where the sound is coming from?
I hear it from the position of the hard drive, it happens every time I turn on my notebook, my hard drive sounds like tekk and after that the sound of my harddrive returns to normal

D

Deleted member 14196

I know what I would do I would rip out that rotten hard drive and put in an SSD they don’t make any noise and they are tons faster. Seriously it’s a big performance boost for your PC especially a weak laptop

May 12, 2020
there are some people who say that if hdd starts to sound strange then it indicates that hdd is no longer good, there are also those who say that sometimes hdd does make such a sound so it is normal, this is what makes me confused because there are 2 perceptions that different

USAFRet

Titan
there are some people who say that if hdd starts to sound strange then it indicates that hdd is no longer good, there are also those who say that sometimes hdd does make such a sound so it is normal, this is what makes me confused because there are 2 perceptions that different
Some drives do make noises. Some are silent.
Often, it depends on the whole rest of the system. Maybe a slightly loose screw.

But if it changes from what it used to be....that is usually not good.

May 12, 2020
Some drives do make noises. Some are silent.
Often, it depends on the whole rest of the system. Maybe a slightly loose screw.

But if it changes from what it used to be....that is usually not good.
It's really confusing haha, but I've started backing up my data just in case something bad happens

USAFRet

Titan
I recorded the sound, like this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NdpwvirqXxOYOfFRI323AdvpLzFzjaC/view?usp=drivesdk
Only happen once when i start my laptop

But, whether this drive lasts for another 5 years, or dies in the next 5 minutes..have you started a good backup routine?

But we see far too many instances of "It was doing weird things, and I was going to save my data tomorrow."

Solution
May 12, 2020

I do not have a backup hdd, so I back up to the flashdisk, only some important data that I backup