• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question My hd keeps disconnecting, reconnecting works, Help

kemorno

Honorable
May 28, 2016
My Hd is on his last days, its abou 8 y/o now, quite corrupted, but i use it for work so i need to stay with it until next month to replace it
Now, for almost a month now, it randomly disapears from Windows drives listing, and i realized that reconnecting it via Sata makes it reapear, now, what i find odd, is that i already tested others hds on in and the problem persisted, so i dont know if the problem is from the hd or maybe the PSu or the mobo.
What could be the issue? i'll probably replace all 3 cause they were a hotfix and are not great parts but i'd still like to know why its failing

Ralston18

Titan
First: is all important data backed up? On the 8 y/o HDD and all other drives on the system?

If not then immediately backup.

Remember: At this time, anything you do may cause additional failures and loss of data.

Second: Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If other HDD's are failing then it is indeed very likely that that 8 y/o HDD is not the only problem.

Third: HDD(s) - make, model, capacity, how full?

Fourth: By "reconnecting it via SATA makes it reappear" explain exactly what you are doing. I think you are unplugging and re-plugging the data and power cables. Is that correct? Have you tried other known working data and power cables?

kemorno

Honorable
May 28, 2016
First: is all important data backed up? On the 8 y/o HDD and all other drives on the system?

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Third: HDD(s) - make, model, capacity, how full?

Fourth: By "reconnecting it via SATA makes it reappear" explain exactly what you are doing. I think you are unplugging and re-plugging the data and power cables. Is that correct? Have you tried other known working data and power cables?
1-Yes.

2-Deepcool DA500w, 1TB,

3-Seagate barracuda 1000D M003, about, it started showing corruption signs at about 900GB, now it has only 120GB of files in it, nothing TOO important.

4-Yes indeed, i've been reconnecting the power cable, i'm already tried other SATA cables, even one straight from a mobo box, and it doesn't change the behaviour
i've tested the same cables with another HD from a laptop that was working fine when i removed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS