Question My hd keeps disconnecting, reconnecting works, Help

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
My Hd is on his last days, its abou 8 y/o now, quite corrupted, but i use it for work so i need to stay with it until next month to replace it
Now, for almost a month now, it randomly disapears from Windows drives listing, and i realized that reconnecting it via Sata makes it reapear, now, what i find odd, is that i already tested others hds on in and the problem persisted, so i dont know if the problem is from the hd or maybe the PSu or the mobo.
What could be the issue? i'll probably replace all 3 cause they were a hotfix and are not great parts but i'd still like to know why its failing

Ralston18

Titan
First: is all important data backed up? On the 8 y/o HDD and all other drives on the system?

If not then immediately backup.

Remember: At this time, anything you do may cause additional failures and loss of data.

Second: Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If other HDD's are failing then it is indeed very likely that that 8 y/o HDD is not the only problem.

Third: HDD(s) - make, model, capacity, how full?

Fourth: By "reconnecting it via SATA makes it reappear" explain exactly what you are doing. I think you are unplugging and re-plugging the data and power cables. Is that correct? Have you tried other known working data and power cables?

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
First: is all important data backed up? On the 8 y/o HDD and all other drives on the system?

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Third: HDD(s) - make, model, capacity, how full?

Fourth: By "reconnecting it via SATA makes it reappear" explain exactly what you are doing. I think you are unplugging and re-plugging the data and power cables. Is that correct? Have you tried other known working data and power cables?

1-Yes.

2-Deepcool DA500w, 1TB,

3-Seagate barracuda 1000D M003, about, it started showing corruption signs at about 900GB, now it has only 120GB of files in it, nothing TOO important.

4-Yes indeed, i've been reconnecting the power cable, i'm already tried other SATA cables, even one straight from a mobo box, and it doesn't change the behaviour
i've tested the same cables with another HD from a laptop that was working fine when i removed.