My HD only works if I take the sata power cable on and off.

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I recently changed my CPU, thus removing everything to clean the pieces up. Now I have this problem with my HD, sometimes it will not show up, in order for it to appear I have to fiddle with the power sata power cable.

GPU 1070
CPU ryzen 1800x
8 gigs gskill running 2133 mhz
An ssd
And the stubborn HD.
I use a cx600 to power the system.

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

It has 20k hours of use, I did change the sata power connectors, also used an eraser on the contacts. The feeling I get is that the cable is failing to turn on the hd, it happens specially when the computer spends a long time turned off. The ssd is connected in the same sata power cable (that has 3 connectors) and faced no problem, I tried the other sata power cable which is connected with the other hd and the problem persists even though the hd on the tip works just fine.

Have you checked out the health of this "stubborn HD" to determine if you might be dealing with a failing or defective drive? This should ALWAYS be your first troubleshooting step when encountering a problem with a HDD or SSD. So check with the drive's manufacturer for a diagnostic program to determine its health.

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

I used Crystal disk info and it says it is healthy just like my secondary HDD, no percentage or anything, as for my ssd it says heathy (98%). That's how I know how many hours of service the HDD has. I just realized that I don't even have to remove the cable to get it to work, I just need to apply a little pressure and in the next boot it shows up, working fine and dandy. But it seems I have to do this every time the pc stays turned off for a few hours, or overnight. As of right now, I can turn on and off, restart many times and the drive will still show up.

Check for Sata if pins are aligned. Other may be moisture, dust etc. I really don't have idea.
It could be that motherboard from HDD is dying or other stuff.
If your HDD is Seagate Download Seatools and it will check for bad sectors and etc.
Its better be safe than sorry. Well i have mine for 24K hours.
Does sata connector feel like loose, or is it stiff?

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

As for sata cables, I tested three, an old one I had, was pretty dusty, so I traded it for a black one that came with the motherboard (was in it's box for a few months), when I noticed the problem, I traded it for another black one, smaller. The power connector feels so so as for being fixed. It really seems like it comes from the power connector in the HDD itself, since everything else is working fine. There is a thing that gives away that the problem will happen, though... the computer takes many more seconds to show boot screen, as if it was trying to find something, but couldn't. In this new build the HDD is in a vertical position, which also made me question if the power connection could be being affected.

The case I'm using now is a Thermaltake C21 versa, which has ports for the 3,5 HDD in the back in a vertical position, since the SSD in mounted in the front of the frame, the cabling is a little awkward, but everything seems to be well connected.
(EDIT)
I also would like to thank you for the support and telling me about the seatools, Just used it, all tests approved, but now I know where to look first in any other case like this.

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

I had to mess a little with it, but since I upgraded from a 1500x to a 1800x everything kinda went smooth Smoothies.

dartseptimus

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

I used 3 sata cables, two of them brand new, as for the power supply cable it seems ok to me. Going to get a new HDD soon, it would be a expansion, but now it feels like a replacement. haha