My HDD freezes my computer!!

ojhasha

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
ok so i downloaded wintoflash to put my windows 7 onto the hard drive because my netbook doesnt have a CD reader. Since it failed to work, i unplugged it and when i tried to connect it to other computers my computer wouldnt recognize the HDD and everytime i tried to open computer management or try to uninstall the driver, it freezes my computer!! help please, this HDD costed 70$ and i dont want it to go to waste, thanks

Solution
MHDD is run from dos. i think they have a boot iso on there website to just burn and boot.

when you load into MHDD you will see a list of drives, type the number corresponding to your drive and hit enter. then press F4 to open scan options and F4 to start the scan

ojhasha

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

it says "disk management could not complete this operation" but when i take out the portable HDD it lists my disks...... ??

ojhasha

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
by the way, i dont care if the things on the driver are deleted, i just want to be able to use it again.. right now it just lags the computer every time i try to open something to clean/format it!!

Huh? Diskpart is a command line based utility. Diskpart is not "Disk management".

I'd try doing it outside the windows environment. Try the "ultimate boot cd" or "darik's boot and nuke" and see if you can wipe the drive.

I don't know what else you can try after this. The drive may just be dead or the enclosure's electronics may be dead.

ojhasha

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

do i wipe or kill?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
disable auto run, open a command prompt under admin, end task on explorer, then do what he suggests in disk part. you can also use a format tool GUI if you wish. the reason its locking up is you have a corrupt partition on this HD and while explorer is trying to read it its locking up. after this you will need to do a full format of the drive before you can use it. the corrupt partition could be purely software or you may have bad sectors on the HD. go download MHDD and run a full scan on the drive to remap any bad areas. if you see alot of slow sectors then go get spinrite and run that to fix the issues. i do same process many times every week.

ojhasha

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

sorry if i sound noob but how do i disable autorun?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
MHDD is run from dos. i think they have a boot iso on there website to just burn and boot.

when you load into MHDD you will see a list of drives, type the number corresponding to your drive and hit enter. then press F4 to open scan options and F4 to start the scan

Solution