[SOLVED] My HDD is failing, what are good replacements for it?

Oct 20, 2019
My Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 is starting to show some bad blocks after whopping 1525 days of power on time, they suddenly went from 0 to 24. From my experience, this is a very bad sign and the hard drive is likely to fail soon. I (almost) never turn my PC off and very rarely restart it. Any 2TB/3TB models are good for me, speed isn't a huge factor because I use an SSD for OS and games/software so reliability is my biggest concern. With that in mind, can you guys give some suggestions for me to replace it? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Do you actually need 2 TB of space?

With Crucial's MX500 in 1 TB being only $105 or so, it's my standard 'go to' these days....

I start getting spinning drives when more than 1.5 TB of space, opting for 4 TB drives, which are only $99-$110 these days.. (WD Red, Seagate Ironwolf; I no longer see any inexpensive HGST 4 TB NAS 7200 RPM drives, for some reason...)

With Crucial's MX500 in 1 TB being only $105 or so, it's my standard 'go to' these days....

I start getting spinning drives when more than 1.5 TB of space, opting for 4 TB drives, which are only $99-$110 these days.. (WD Red, Seagate Ironwolf; I no longer see any inexpensive HGST 4 TB NAS 7200 RPM drives, for some reason...)

Solution
Oct 20, 2019

Yes, these 2TB will be very much appreciated! Unfortunately the MX500 is about $170 where I live, and that's too much money for me at the moment... Same price for a 4TB Ironwolf, so both are a bit out of what I wished to pay. I wouldn't mind buying a SSD for storage but 4TB is just way more than 1TB...

I recently merged partitions on my HDD's and removed the old boot partitions so now I have 2.2TB free. I can not figure out what to put on those drives. How do people use 2TB of space?

With that said you might want to check and see if you can get a WD Blue HDD for a decent price. The Ironwolf and WD Red are better HDD's but if cost is a factor a WD Blue might be worth considering.

Oct 20, 2019
I gathered some of the best values, tell me what you guys think: ST4000DM004, ST3000DM008 and ST3000VX009. All of them have the same price tag of $123. I do understand these are very expensive considering the models, but I live in Brazil and that's just how it goes unfortunately. Believe it or not, there isn't a single unit of a WD Blue model with storage higher than 2TB. The 2TB options are these: WD20EZRZ ($88.21) and ST2000DM008 ($77.18).

Just a quick reminder that one of my biggest concerns is reliability, I don't mind about speed much since I don't run software or games out of spinning drives, only media. I have a dedicated SSD for those and the OS. I really wish I could afford a WD Red, but a 3TB unit goes for $160, which is honestly too much for me right now... But if you guys think it will be a good buy, I believe I don't might waiting a month or two to buy one.

Oct 20, 2019
If you are going with a spinning drive, might as well opt for the 4 TB unit.....; you can always try to add/upgrade to a 250 or 500 GB SSD for the OS later....
I already have a dedicated SSD for the OS+daily software and games. The spinning drive is for storage/media only.

Oct 20, 2019
Purple and red are very similar. Both are meant for 24x7 operation. Red is optimized for read operations, purple - for write operations.
Do you know how does the WD30PURZ compare to the ST3000VX009? The Seagate one is about $20 cheaper and they seem to be competing models... though I'm very interested in buying a WD drive.

I am biased towards WD HDD's personally I have two of their drives in my current computer and I've purchased several other external WD HDD's. My WD 500GB HDD must be 8-9 years old now and I have had zero problems with it.

I bought my sister a 1TB WD External HDD in late 2014 as a Christmas gift and so far it is running just fine as well.

My internal 1TB WD HDD has no errors after 2.5 years of continuous day to day use, I just recently relegated it to a storage drive after installing an NVMe drive for my OS and Apps.