Question My HDD is missing in explorer

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So everything was working fine until I restarted my PC because of Windows updates.

Been at this for a couple hours now and haven't been able to fix it.

I have three drivers, the first is my SSD, the second is a 2TB HDD, and the third is a 1.5TB HDD.

The third drive is missing now, and diskpart just says it's a blank drive with no space available like it's dead or something.

I hope it's not.

And the only reason I even noticed this was because I tried to stream videos from KODI onto my Fire Stick, and it wasn't showing up with a library, and that got me to looking at this.

Here is a screen shot.

If anyone has encountered this before and knows how to fix it, or if it's a dead drive, let me know.

It is a bit of an older drive, but shouldn't be at the end of it's life cycle yet, but because of this I did take the precaution to only use it for video files for KODI so that in the event it did die, nothing important was on it.

P.S. - I am still running on 1803, while I've been afraid of the October update because of the initial issues it had, do you think it would help to update to 1809?

Also, noticed that it says no free space at all on the drives in diskpart, yet according to explorer there's clearly free space.

Could this just be an initial issue with Windows disk management?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
OK. after opening Disk Management, it wants me to initialize. Can't remember if this means it will format it or not.

Capture.png

D

Deleted member 14196

There’s a utility called Crystal Disk Info that will give you the SMART reading to tell you if the drive is failing

Mar 1, 2019
Still would like to see those screenshots.
Initializing doesn't format anything BTW.

Hello,

I have the same issue as the OP. I have an 2TB SDD and a 6TB HDD & Windows 10. I was running Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator in the background and also had Chrome opened. Suddenly, the game doesn't open, Task Manager is not responding, I can't click anything, basically, windows was not responding. I restarted it, it took 10 minutes to load and when it loads, the 6TB HDD no longer shows up. My desktop is empty, my torrent is empty, the whole HDD is gone.

I went in Disk Management and it asks me to Initialize Disk 0 as it does to OP. Should I choose MBR or GPT? And are you 100% sure that Initializing won't format it?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
so tried initializing with the MBR option just to see if it would do something, but nothing.

basically the drive can't be initialized, and therefore can't be seen, and thusly cannot be scanned, formatted, or interacted with in any way by the programs we have talked about using.

Thinking it's completely dead and it's just time to trash it.

It's ok though, was having an issue once in the past where windows would sometimes show it as empty and a restart would fix it, and this forced me to take precautions and buy a new 2TB HDD for games and files and only use the 1.5TB for just videos for HTPC purposes until it died, making sure not to put anything important on it.

Mar 1, 2019
so tried initializing with the MBR option just to see if it would do something, but nothing.

basically the drive can't be initialized, and therefore can't be seen, and thusly cannot be scanned, formatted, or interacted with in any way by the programs we have talked about using.

Thinking it's completely dead and it's just time to trash it.

It's ok though, was having an issue once in the past where windows would sometimes show it as empty and a restart would fix it, and this forced me to take precautions and buy a new 2TB HDD for games and files and only use the 1.5TB for just videos for HTPC purposes until it died, making sure not to put anything important on it.

I tried both options myself and I get the same errors...

Mar 1, 2019
Guess what, I just wanted to Shut Down my PC. I noticed there is a Windows Update. I click Shut Down and Update and then, when I Turn On the PC again, everything is back in place. It's like it never happened. The Partitions are there, all the folders are there, no information missing.

WTF?!