Sep 9, 2018
Hello
So yea, i fucked up my computer somehow, and i had to reinstall windows 10
However, since then, my hdd isnt showing up anymore
Its not in bios, nor in disc management, nor in window explorer
I tried few tricks i found online like upluging, restart, replug
I even changed of SATA port
Nothing works

Btw, the reason I had to reinstall window is because i turned off my computer because it was taking too much time to restart

Also, my windows is on a ssd, this one is okay, but i cant really do much with only 120gb

Please help me
Thanks

Solution
I'm gonna disagree and say that it's probably a formatting issue, this has happened multiple times to me. I have to clean the disk in cmd, and reformat it as a gpt. I just had this same problem again and this fixed it. It's 100% not a hardware issue...
Or you can go into windows disk management and make sure that the drives are just labeled twice as missing and foreign, then you can assign the foreign disk as the missing disk and save your data.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
I see. Anyhow, I'd suggest you try plugging the SATA cable onto the same port used by the SSD (just to 100% verify it's not a port related issue), and then see if it's recognized in BIOS. If it's still not recognized, then I'd say the problem is with the HDD's PCB (circuit board).
There are a number of different sites that are specifically intended for the purchase of spare HDD PCBs, such as:

https://www.onepcbsolution.com/
https://www.harddriveparts.com/
https://www.hddzone.com/
Or you could also get em from ebay.

Anyways, each PCB has a part number that you have to match, as explained here:
https://www.hddzone.com/conditions.html
That said, this by itself is not sufficient (because each PCB also has a firmware chip that has unique data on it, which has to be swapped from the original PCB to the replacement in order for it to make a perfect match, and this is something only a true electronics professional can do!) I'd advise you to go with the first site (onepcbsolution) as they offer a full service (with the chip swap included) but if ordering from anywhere else, you'll have to take care of the chip swap yourself (a cellphone/electronics repair shop should be able to do it)

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.
And drivers have absolutely nothing to do with it (drivers are only on the operating system level, and help it correctly identify and communicate with a specific piece of hardware) a Hard drive/SSD should always be recognized in BIOS if it's in good working condition (and neither require special drivers to be recognized by the OS!) Also, a huge misconception a lot of people have is that electronic equipment either works 100% or not at all, when in reality it can also malfunction in various ways (and still work to some extent, but not fully) so what I'm saying is, just because the HDD powers up and spins, it doesn't mean it's in fully working condition. And since your SSD is recognized fine, it's very unlikely to be a motherboard/sata controller problem (provided that you also try the HDD on the same port as previously suggested) that said, you could also get a USB>SATA adapter (or an external drive enclosure) and hook it up via USB if you wanna rule out the sata controller 110% (personally though, I think this would be going over the top). And as for it suddenly not working, as they say, shit happens! It has nothing to do with you reinstalling the OS, it's just a sheer coincidence.
If you have important data on the said HDD, it'd be best you swap out the PCB as explained above.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
It really depends on the particular situation.

If the HDD contains important data (and you have no backup) - Swap out the PCB as said above (preferably via onepcbsolution, if they have the one you need) This is not overly complex, have high success rates, and is significantly cheaper than professional data recovery!

If the HDD doesn't contain important data (or you have it all backed up somewhere) - Replace it (if it's still under warranty, use it, otherwise, you'd have to get a new one)

Sep 19, 2018
I'm gonna disagree and say that it's probably a formatting issue, this has happened multiple times to me. I have to clean the disk in cmd, and reformat it as a gpt. I just had this same problem again and this fixed it. It's 100% not a hardware issue...
Or you can go into windows disk management and make sure that the drives are just labeled twice as missing and foreign, then you can assign the foreign disk as the missing disk and save your data.

Solution

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018

I'm sorry, but you sound completely clueless!
The OP is saying it's not even recognized in the BIOS, how can you possibly claim it's not a hardware issue?