[SOLVED] My HDD jumps to 100% usage

Sep 3, 2020
As I have an SSD for my system and some other software, I only store games on my HDD. Recently when I load up an application that is located on the HDD, the disk usage spikes to 100%. If I kill the task, it sometimes stays at 100% for an extended period of time. This seems to have happened from one moment to the next, task manager shows no applications above 1%. I have tried several fixes online such as disable superfetch, windows updates, changing power settings and I formatted both drives and reinstalled windows to no avail.
I've had this PC for over a year, contains:
  • Nvidia RTX 2060-6GB (Upgraded about 1 month prior)
  • i7-8700 CPU
  • Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB
  • Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 (Disk Causing Problems)
  • 16.0GB Dual-Channel DIMM

Open to ideas, I really want to fix this.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the application that causes the HDD to be at 100%? You might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. On another note, what version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstalled them manually after downloading them from Nvidia's support site?

Lutfij

Titan

What is the application that causes the HDD to be at 100%? You might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. On another note, what version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstalled them manually after downloading them from Nvidia's support site?

Reactions: laslosan
Solution
Sep 3, 2020

Just did a driver re installation, that seemed to clear things up. Did not that that would be the offender :)