[SOLVED] My HDD just keeps disconnecting and reconnecting ?

Aug 14, 2021
Hello, I've had this problem for a year now and I've never found a solution, I've changed my disk, my SATA cable, the cable between the power supply and the hard disk, changed my drivers, all that to finally find that my hard disk keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, obviously this poses a problem because all the software installed on it doesn't support disconnection and is therefore almost all corrupt. (And by the way, these disconnections happen by periods, often when I exploit the potential of the disk, i.e. install something or launch something on it).

Yesterday I thought that the problem could come from the power supply which didn't provide enough energy and that my disk didn't have the priority on it, so I made a calculation with the help of a site on internet to tell me that the energy necessary for the good functioning of my PC is 490W, my power supply being 650W, the problem doesn't come from this one directly, or then (according to me) from a technical failure in this one, but it's still strange that I'm still able to use the rest of my PC without any problem

The only solution I found so far was to buy an SSD to install my most important files, but obviously I can't afford a 5 Terras SSD and I now need a secondary hard drive.

Can you help me please?

Solution
I can find no reviews from a trustworthy source for your PSU and that usually means it's a bad one. I can't even find the proper specification details for it. You should swap to a reliable and known PSU for your system as it is the single most important hardware to ensure the safety of everything else.

Since you already have a SSD, you can very easily get another HDD and transfer the files there. Do always have a spare drive for backup that will be renewed every 5 years or so.
Start by posting your full system specs including the EXACT make and model of your PSU.

You should have already a second drive to keep all of your files backed up and not rely on a single one. You can also get 2 drives, one SSD for the OS and some games/files and another HDD for storage of everything else.

Aug 14, 2021
Start by posting your full system specs including your EXACT make and model of your PSU.

You should have already a second drive to keep all of your files backed up and not rely on a single one. You can also get 2 drives, one SSD for the OS and some games/files and another HDD for storage of everything else.
Here you go :
Power Supply : Advance LP-650B Premium Power Series 650W 80+Bronze
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 3,5" 7200rpm 1Tb
SSD: Corsair Force MP600 500GB NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950
Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 8600K @3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair's Vengeance RGB : 2x8Go DDR4 3000Mhz

I'm already using a SSD for my OS and some files and a HDD for the rest. (I have also apps as games on my second HDD because I don't have enough space on my SSD)

Last edited:
I can find no reviews from a trustworthy source for your PSU and that usually means it's a bad one. I can't even find the proper specification details for it. You should swap to a reliable and known PSU for your system as it is the single most important hardware to ensure the safety of everything else.

Since you already have a SSD, you can very easily get another HDD and transfer the files there. Do always have a spare drive for backup that will be renewed every 5 years or so.

Solution
Aug 14, 2021

I was thinking of it, but I'd like to think about all the possibilities first before getting down to business, admittedly it's a good thing to do, but I'm not even sure if the failure is coming from my PSU, so I'd rather know more about the potential sources of the problem. That's why I'm telling you my problem today.

Let me put it this way.
If a PSU is junk, it remains junk and compromises each and every other hardware in your system. WHEN something fails, you will ALWAYS suspect the PSU since it's junk and then the specific hardware to be problematic.
When a PSU is reliable and has the necessary protections then a hardware failure will have the specific hardware as prime suspect with the PSU being in a far lower possibility being at fault.

I can't tell for sure if it's the PSU at fault of course, but replacing it is the first thing I would do even if it's not the issue.

That's this one
Not that.
PSU label - where model name and PSU power characteristics are written.

Like this one, but for 650W model.
alimentation-advance-premium-power-series-750-w-ref_AL702_3.jpg

Aug 14, 2021
Let me put it this way.
If a PSU is junk, it remains junk and compromises each and every other hardware in your system. WHEN something fails, you will ALWAYS suspect the PSU since it's junk and then the specific hardware to be problematic.
When a PSU is reliable and has the necessary protections then a hardware failure will have the specific hardware as prime suspect with the PSU being in a far lower possibility being at fault.

I can't tell for sure if it's the PSU at fault of course, but replacing it is the first thing I would do even if it's not the issue.

Okay, I will search for a PSU and I'll take it next month. Thanks for your help so far.