[SOLVED] my HDD keeps on disappearing and reappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
my 2 TB Western Digital Blue keeps on disappearing and reappearing(not external) it keeps the files and everything but it just randomly and when im trying to use it disappearing and after a bit reappearing. it has been happening for a week already and yesterday it started telling me that its read only drive in some cases(dont remember when), i have tried to re connect it to pc, i copmpletly restarted my pc, i switched to a new sata III cable and i checked if it was updated(which it was) but none of these worked, please help me fix this problem.

Solution
That drive is actively failing. It could go full failure at any moment. Back up all important data and replace immediately. There is no way to repair this drive. Replacement is the ONLY solution.

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
The drive likely has week heads, bad sectors and some firmware issues, or could just have a flaky PCB. If you have valuable data on it, be sure to back it up right away. If you are unable to do so, you may need to seek the assistance of data recovery professional.

At the very least, you should replace the drive.

Dec 6, 2019
That drive is actively failing. It could go full failure at any moment. Back up all important data and replace immediately. There is no way to repair this drive. Replacement is the ONLY solution.
im too lazy to take it out of the pc right now... is it fine if i keep it there for a few days?( i wont use it and will replace it later)

Dec 6, 2019
As long as it's powered up it's going further into failure. At the very least disconnect it from both data and power. There's no telling how much longer it will be accessible.
i dont care about it failing since i have no important data in there(its just for games) but i do care about it damaging the rest of my pc, can it damage the rest of my pc if i wont disconnect it?

Status
Not open for further replies.