[SOLVED] My HDD which previously worked no longer is showing up on my Laptop

Sep 24, 2020
After banging the area where my HDD is located, my D : drive is no longer seeable anywhere on my computer. It is no longer registered in BIOS and in disk management. I looked at disk list and I can only see my SSD. Is this a problems with my HDD or SATA cable.

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

laptops do not have a cable per se. it sits in a cradle/slot and is secured with a screw or two. it is possible that the connection is lose.
can you hear the drive spinning up when the power is applied?
can you hear the actuator moving the heads?

if you cannot hear anything it means that the connection may be lose ans no power is getting through, in which case you would need to open the unit and verify everything is good. it could also mean that the drive is dead. the easiest way to test the drive is to put it in another working computer.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

laptops do not have a cable per se. it sits in a cradle/slot and is secured with a screw or two. it is possible that the connection is lose.
can you hear the drive spinning up when the power is applied?
can you hear the actuator moving the heads?

if you cannot hear anything it means that the connection may be lose ans no power is getting through, in which case you would need to open the unit and verify everything is good. it could also mean that the drive is dead. the easiest way to test the drive is to put it in another working computer.

Solution