Question My headphones have white noise issue, will that be harmful to my hearing?

nameoftheuser2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I but noticed white noise on my HyperX Cloud II wireless. Sent them to RMA and they just returned them and said all is good...
Can white noise damage my hearing? It's only noticeable when no sound is playing. When there's sound going thru headphones you can't hear it, but I guess sound just masks it and I'm being paranoid that constant hum in the background will damage my hearing.

kanewolf

Titan
I but noticed white noise on my HyperX Cloud II wireless. Sent them to RMA and they just returned them and said all is good...
Can white noise damage my hearing? It's only noticeable when no sound is playing. When there's sound going thru headphones you can't hear it, but I guess sound just masks it and I'm being paranoid that constant hum in the background will damage my hearing.
White noise or rock music, the question is the intensity and the duration. Something that is just perceptible at 45dB would not be a problem no mater the duration. 95dB would be.

nameoftheuser2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
White noise or rock music, the question is the intensity and the duration. Something that is just perceptible at 45dB would not be a problem no mater the duration. 95dB would be.
It's quiet, someone who isn't aware of it probably wouldn't notice it. That white noise stays at the same level no mater the volume level of the headphones. I'm just concerned if that constant buzz/hum in the background so close to the ear is harmful.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
It's quiet, someone who isn't aware of it probably wouldn't notice it. That white noise stays at the same level no mater the volume level of the headphones. I'm just concerned if that constant buzz/hum in the background so close to the ear is harmful.
If it is barely audible, and many wouldn't even hear it, then I don't believe it will be a problem. Is the noise from a ceiling fan harmful? Same basic concept. Low level noise over a long period of time. Not an issue. Here is the standard for noise exposure NIOSH -- https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/reducenoiseexposure/regsguidance.html
Employees are allowed exposure to 85dB for 8 hours. The BACKGROUND noise is not close to that. Here is some examples of sound pressure levels -- https://decibelpro.app/blog/decibel-chart-of-common-sound-sources/#2 Unless your BACKGROUND noise is like a vacuum cleaner, then you don't have a problem